Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: CAREFUL--Autopilot sudden braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've experienced this twice now on my Model 3 with software version 2018.14.13. Once passing an underpass, and once in full clear sunshine, but both times in moderate traffic at high speeds on the 5 freeway. I'm lucky I was not rear-ended and was able to correct the error quickly.

Does anyone with the new software version know if this error is now fixed? And if so, can we call roadside assistance to force the update?

I've been getting this quite a bit in my Model 3 recently. I am pretty confident this is happening when there are dark shadows on the road from overpasses or freeway signs. This is usually on very sunny days. When it happens, you can’t immediately stop the car from the hard deceleration. I find it usually decelerates maybe 20 MPH, from like 40 to 20.

I am not one to worry or freak out, but there is a chance this could cause someone to rear end me. If you are cruising along behind someone at 50 MPH and all of a sudden they anchor their brakes, there’s a decent chance it takes you a second or two to react.

Hoping this is resolved fast.

I am on 2018.16.2.

I've had this happen to me a few times as well (I have to quickly press the accelerator to get to stop braking). But I can't recall if there was a car in front of me or not (within radar range). My assumption is the camera sees the shadow and thinks it may be an object. Since the radar can't lock too well on a stationary object at freeway speeds, the system slows down to error on the safe side. But if following a car, the system should have a radar locked to it and it's going straight through without issue, it can as well. At least that's my theory.

I suspect Tesla will keep the system the same and have it error on the safe side for now. Too many people being distracted idiots and letting their AP systems drive full speed into stationary objects and fire trucks. :(

I had my MX 2.5 do a hard break on a freeway yesterday. Luckily I was able to react and hit the accelerator. Just got the car and I pick up my Model 3 this weekend and now I am hesitant towards using autopilot. Inexcusable for this to be happening to so many people. I don't think 5k is a fair price to pay for beta software, should have been cheaper as current driver's are basically human guinea pigs at this point in development.

I've had this happen to me a few times as well (I have to quickly press the accelerator to get to stop braking). But I can't recall if there was a car in front of me or not (within radar range). My assumption is the camera sees the shadow and thinks it may be an object. Since the radar can't lock too well on a stationary object at freeway speeds, the system slows down to error on the safe side. But if following a car, the system should have a radar locked to it and it's going straight through without issue, it can as well. At least that's my theory.

I suspect Tesla will keep the system the same and have it error on the safe side for now. Too many people being distracted idiots and letting their AP systems drive full speed into stationary objects and fire trucks. :(

The first EAP error for me was passing an underpass, so the shadow theory may have some merit.

However my second EAP error was in full sunshine with no immediate traffic or obstacles overhead. I can't think of any way a shadow may have affected it, unless an airplane was passing overhead or something else that I did not notice.

In any event, I am much more careful now when I use EAP. If I find a vehicle follows me too closely then I will not use it for fear he may rear end me. Hopefully the new software version addresses this.

I wonder if you're experiencing the false collisions mentioned here?

Upgrading Autopilot: Seeing the World in Radar

The third part is a lot more difficult. When the car is approaching an overhead highway road sign positioned on a rise in the road or a bridge where the road dips underneath, this often looks like a collision course. The navigation data and height accuracy of the GPS are not enough to know whether the car will pass under the object or not. By the time the car is close and the road pitch changes, it is too late to brake.

This is where fleet learning comes in handy. Initially, the vehicle fleet will take no action except to note the position of road signs, bridges and other stationary objects, mapping the world according to radar. The car computer will then silently compare when it would have braked to the driver action and upload that to the Tesla database. If several cars drive safely past a given radar object, whether Autopilot is turned on or off, then that object is added to the geocoded whitelist.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
The first EAP error for me was passing an underpass, so the shadow theory may have some merit.

However my second EAP error was in full sunshine with no immediate traffic or obstacles overhead. I can't think of any way a shadow may have affected it, unless an airplane was passing overhead or something else that I did not notice.

In any event, I am much more careful now when I use EAP. If I find a vehicle follows me too closely then I will not use it for fear he may rear end me. Hopefully the new software version addresses this.

I have been on the firmware 2018.18.3 for one week now and have been using EAP, although quite guardedly. So far I have experienced no issues with sudden braking in EAP. Has anyone else seen similar results?

It happened to me yesterday (one day after installing 2018.18.3). It scared the crap out of my wife and gave her minor whiplash because I hit the accelerator hard to keep me from slowing down too much (there was traffic behind me but fortunately not tailgating). I'm now banned from using the system while my wife is in the car unless it's stop/go traffic.

Like the other times, no traffic directly in front of me. I really hope they fix this by next month when I start a 680 mile road trip. I really don't want to keep my foot hovering over the accelerator pedal every time I go under an overpass or through some shadows.

If people are still seeing this in the latest update, I truly believe this is something that may not have escalated to right folks at Tesla.

I would suggest everybody that is on this thread report this through your Tesla account so that Tesla knows that it is not an isolated incident. With enough people reporting this (while including management team), this might get fixed sooner than later. I am reporting this item this morning.

Do this as public service to every other owner who has yet to experience this and may not be so lucky to have his/her foot on the accelerator.