Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA Frunk Dents Super Easy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, and I wish it was better reinforced as well. For what its worth, I find it no better nor worse than the frunk on a 911, which doesn’t excuse the design, but still it sounds to be an auto industry design issue in general

I’m not familiar with the quality of the MY frunk, but my 992 frunk is not fragile and does not seem like it will dent easily. Not sure this is a fair comparison.

The frunk hood on mine is horribly misaligned from the factory which adds to the difficulty in closing it. Have an appointment for next Monday for them to come out and fix that, plus attach the rear spoiler which is already coming off.

If the alignment doesn't help, I don't really seeing it being used much.

I’m not familiar with the quality of the MY frunk, but my 992 frunk is not fragile and does not seem like it will dent easily. Not sure this is a fair comparison.
Positive improvement to hear some 911 franks may be better than others, and some Tesla trunks better than others. To be more specific and expand on my prior post, my 996 turbo's frunk is exactly as fragile as my model 3's frank. Nice to hear by the 992 model Porsche improved the rigidity of that area.

Mine warped from the heat. I was driving for a few hours when it was in the upper 80s to mid 90s and I get out to charge and noticed this. I hadn't even opened the frunk since ownership at this point.

Frunk.PNG

• Disagree
Reactions: richyrich and db93
My approach is to use the frunk for all my "almost never/emergency" storage needs. Put the tire pump, mobile charger, blankets, road hazard kit etc. After seeing all the horror stories I look at it as an almost gimmick unfortunately. Maybe one day they will make a stronger or auto closing option but until then I am personally avoiding it as much as possible.

Closing the frunk has been a challenge. At delivery today we noticed our hood was dented from closing the frunk. Tesla is taking care of the issue but I would LOVE an auto open and close option ASAP or a solution that does not require nearly as much force *OR* an aftermarket hood that has more structure built into it so the hood will not dent.
Tesla does make it very clear in the owner's manual, and my service rep reminded me, to close the frunk carefully. If you lay palms face down, on either side of the "T" badge, and gently push, you should be good. That said, it does leave hand marks all over the lid every time. I am all for saving weight but this cover does seem so thin.

My approach is to use the frunk for all my "almost never/emergency" storage needs. Put the tire pump, mobile charger, blankets, road hazard kit etc. After seeing all the horror stories I look at it as an almost gimmick unfortunately. Maybe one day they will make a stronger or auto closing option but until then I am personally avoiding it as much as possible.

You know I have all that stuff in the rear, under the floor...I may opt to move some of it to the frunk...

Reactions: Bvee
The frunk hood on mine is horribly misaligned from the factory which adds to the difficulty in closing it. Have an appointment for next Monday for them to come out and fix that, plus attach the rear spoiler which is already coming off.

If the alignment doesn't help, I don't really seeing it being used much.

I’ve noticed my spoiler lifting at one edge.. at my first service appt. they brushed it off and said it was normal.. but it does bother me. I’ll have to push them to fix it...

Curious here, are you denting it while following their recommendation for closing the frunk?

Both hands on either side of the logo, and a firm press down? I won’t say the frunk isn’t a little tedious to close this way, but I haven’t seen any denting issues on my 3 when closed as prescribed.
I replaced the drunk spring with one with less load force and closing it is a breeze requiring almost no force and. Found that Nm middle ground between easy to close and almost-opens-itself-fully.

Pretty much. Had to take this approach with our 2013 Model S as well. At least they've settled into a recommendation for closing. Back then they kept changing it as each new method was also found to lead to dents. They eventually found something that worked. I attended that first TMC Connect, and a group of us walked through the lot and well over half of the frunks were dented.

I use it when I need it because in those days the frunk was huge and provides a ton of extra storage, but I try to minimize it. It's shocking, honestly, that they haven't come up with a solution to this in nearly 8 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: gundarx
Positive improvement to hear some 911 franks may be better than others, and some Tesla trunks better than others. To be more specific and expand on my prior post, my 996 turbo's frunk is exactly as fragile as my model 3's frank. Nice to hear by the 992 model Porsche improved the rigidity of that area.

I had 2 981s, the latest being a 2015 Cayman, and I never had any trouble with the frunk. I used it all the time. I’m curious to see how the Teslas feel in comparison. I prefer it for groceries, but if the MY frunk lid is THAT fragile I won’t.

I guess I'm lucky, because I haven't had any issues with my Model Y frunk. I have probably opened it 20 times in the past month or so, with no problems. I let release it from about a foot high, and then push on either side of the logo and it shuts easily. If I didn't read the all the problems people have with it, I wouldn't even had known it was much different from any other hood I've had.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce