Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: no lane visualization, GPS stops updating: fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting this because it's bitten me twice, and even the second time, I had forgotten the fix. With luck, typing this out will force me to remember it.

The observed symptoms are:
  • GPS location stops updating
  • lane lines do not show in car status area
  • other cars do not show in car status area
  • alert tones come out of both the normal sound system and the backup alert speaker
  • AP still works (though it is no longer speed-limit-aware, since GPS is not working)
  • HomeLink works if manually selected (though it doesn't automatically, since GPS is not working)
  • scroll button reset does not fix
  • scroll button and brake reset does not fix
  • full power-off does not fix
Completely un-intuitively, the fix is to pull your TeslaCam USB drive and reformat or otherwise clear drive and file corruption issues.

I've experienced this on 2019.12.1.2 related to nothing obvious, and on 2019.16.2 immediately following the update.

Reactions: Fully Charged
I am currently havung this issue as well. Another symptom is that my headlights stay on even during the day. They use to shut off and the running daylight lights would auto turn on. Ive tried reformatting the usb drive and now i cant get the dashcam icon to appear and still have all the issues noted.

Any suggestions?

Wow, that's kind of scary. Maybe I'll abandon TeslaCam for a while and see if some glitches magically disappear.
My drive is rarely ever corrupted though.

Wonder if this could cause phantom braking if the GPS location is lost.

I am currently havung this issue as well. Another symptom is that my headlights stay on even during the day. They use to shut off and the running daylight lights would auto turn on. Ive tried reformatting the usb drive and now i cant get the dashcam icon to appear and still have all the issues noted.

Any suggestions?

Fat32 and created TeslaCam folder?

Since your not getting the icon I doubt they are related.

Minor updates, having experienced this again:

alert tones come out of both the normal sound system and the backup alert speaker
Maybe. I have had most of the other symptoms with and without this symptom.
Completely un-intuitively, the fix is to pull your TeslaCam USB drive and reformat or otherwise clear drive and file corruption issues.
...and to leave the drive out and wait a bit. It may help to do a full power-cycle; in my most recent case, even after fixing the drive, it did not immediately self-clear, but it did self-clear after sitting in a friends driveway for a few hours.