TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PSA: no lane visualization, GPS stops updating: fixed

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by lairdb, May 30, 2019.

1. lairdb

lairdb Member

I'm posting this because it's bitten me twice, and even the second time, I had forgotten the fix. With luck, typing this out will force me to remember it.

The observed symptoms are:
    • GPS location stops updating
    • lane lines do not show in car status area
    • other cars do not show in car status area
    • alert tones come out of both the normal sound system and the backup alert speaker
    • AP still works (though it is no longer speed-limit-aware, since GPS is not working)
    • HomeLink works if manually selected (though it doesn't automatically, since GPS is not working)
    • scroll button reset does not fix
    • scroll button and brake reset does not fix
    • full power-off does not fix
    Completely un-intuitively, the fix is to pull your TeslaCam USB drive and reformat or otherwise clear drive and file corruption issues.

I've experienced this on 2019.12.1.2 related to nothing obvious, and on 2019.16.2 immediately following the update.

• Like x 1
  2. Franklin7268

Franklin7268 Member

I am currently havung this issue as well. Another symptom is that my headlights stay on even during the day. They use to shut off and the running daylight lights would auto turn on. Ive tried reformatting the usb drive and now i cant get the dashcam icon to appear and still have all the issues noted.

Any suggestions?

3. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Wow, that's kind of scary. Maybe I'll abandon TeslaCam for a while and see if some glitches magically disappear.
    My drive is rarely ever corrupted though.

Wonder if this could cause phantom braking if the GPS location is lost.

4. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Fat32 and created TeslaCam folder?

Since your not getting the icon I doubt they are related.

5. lairdb

lairdb Member

Minor updates, having experienced this again:

Maybe. I have had most of the other symptoms with and without this symptom.
    ...and to leave the drive out and wait a bit. It may help to do a full power-cycle; in my most recent case, even after fixing the drive, it did not immediately self-clear, but it did self-clear after sitting in a friends driveway for a few hours.

6. Franklin7268

Franklin7268 Member

The dashcam had been working with the new update. Just suddenly stopped working yesterday after a drive out to town. Ive re formatted the usb and will wait another day to see if it will self clear. I'll keep this post updated

7. Raincloud

Raincloud Member

I had few of these issues in my 2.0 MX. Tesla suggested to turn of Sentry mode from the MCU and give it few hours. That seemed to have fixed the issue until they release the new firmware.

8. Franklin7268

Franklin7268 Member

Update: i turned off sentry mode from MCU and reformatted my usb drive and all issues resolved! Thanks folks! Post reply if anybody is having same issues and i can add step by steps

• Informative x 1