Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charger dangers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my M3 for a week. Haven't gone to a supercharger yet. Mainly been charging at work using provided J-1172 adapter. Yesterday, I was using a public Tesla charger and noticed all four stall had worn charging connector. Car charged fine but wonder if anyone is concern about public charger damaging the car's charge port?

Um. Silver contacts. Good conduction. SC's have been in operation since, what, 2015, and haven't heard of a Tesla being damaged yet. Except for maybe the one recall on the charging port in the car a few years back.

Every so often one runs into an SC stall where the cable connector is broken. At one time, it was considered a good idea to ding Tesla and let them know; nowadays, standard practice is that Tesla picks up the fault and sends somebody out to fix it on their own.

Been plugging into SC's since 2018 with, first, a M3, then added a MY in 2021. No problems on roughly a hundred charges at $RANDOM SC's all over.

I should of been more cleared. I'm not really concerned about electrical damage. I'm more concerned about mechanical contact damage or debris transfer from the public charger into the charge port. I'm planning to carry an air canister to blow on the charging connector before plugging in.

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
I should of been more cleared. I'm not really concerned about electrical damage. I'm more concerned about mechanical contact damage or debris transfer from the public charger into the charge port. I'm planning to carry an air canister to blow on the charging connector before plugging in.
Frankly, don't worry about it. If you're worried, look at the connector before you plug it in and, if it looks bad, use another stall.

Once in a great while I'll plug in a cable and the car won't charge. Moved to another stall, it works. The system is pretty rugged.

Reactions: APotatoGod
One issue when using J1772 EVSEs that some people have encountered is melted J1772 adapters. AFAIK, there's no definitive/official explanation of the cause, but my own hypothesis is that something has degraded the contacts in the J1772 plug (maybe dirt or corrosion), and this has reduced the conductivity, resulting in increased heat generation. As the J1772 adapter is a dumb pass-through design without its own heat sensors, the Tesla can't know that anything is wrong, so the J1772 side of the adapter can melt. I have noticed that an awful lot of reports of these problems mention that the station provided 48A (as is common at Volta stations), which suggests that the problem is more common at higher amperage than at lower values. Most public Level 2 EVSEs max out at 30A or 32A, so if my hypothesis is correct, they're less likely to overheat badly enough to melt the adapter if there connection is slightly degraded.

Supercharger stations don't involve adapters, so the Tesla's built-in temperature sensors are more likely to detect problems and reduce the charge rate with them. The new CCS1 adapters are new enough that it's not clear if there might be problems with them from time to time.

Overall, this implies that examining the contacts, as @Tronguy suggests, and cleaning them with compressed air (or just blowing on them), as you yourself suggest, @Bankmaggot, are good practice, particularly when using an adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod