Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter melted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was using an EVGo L2 charger at my gym just now for my M3 and was charging for about 3 hours. I came back and unplugged the charger, but noticed it was really hot. I’ve charged at different L2s before and never came back to a hot charger. I didn’t think much of it, so I left to go to another L2 charger to finish charging my car while I chill at home. When I tried to plug my adapter in the new charger, I noticed the inside of my J1772 was slightly melted - WTF?? I read this could happen if there’s not good contact with the charger, but I made sure the charger clipped into my adapter, and on top of that, I bought a J1772 lock so people can’t unplug me. This should’ve made sure there was good enough contact for the adapter. Was it due to a faulty L2 or was this my own error??

It's possible the J1772 handle was defective.

The early Blink L2 EVSEs had Rema handles w/faulty crimps that would cause Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics) - My Nissan Leaf Forum and Honda.

A bunch of Mustart (crappy) L2 EVSEs have seemingly defective handles causes J1772 inlet damage:
What does Plugshare say for that location? Maybe someone else has encountered this?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Also see J1772 Adapter Melted

The melting happened on a road trip, and AFAIK it's not safe to keep using that adapter.
The local Service Center was kind enough to replace it under warranty.

I don't think the melting can be caused by user error, but it might be worth examining the connectors before use and maybe spraying with compressed air.

[Mods: Do you want to correct the thread name typo so people can find this thread by search?]

Last edited:
The adapter. It got damaged in use with an out-of-town public charger.

The new one has a part number ("P/N") ending in "C" and a serial number ("S/N"). IIRC the damaged one had a part number ending in "A", which probably means "revision A."

I do have a mobile connector that also came with the car. Haven't tried it.

Mine is also now ruined! The last time it worked it was very warm when unplugged. The next day it wouldn't plug into the charger cord - you can see a frothy looking substance (melted plastic?) filling part of one hole. I had used that free public charger several times before without problem. It does have two cords so I don't know which one was used which time. Anyway, why should it just start melting? Doesn't it communicate with the car? It should shut off charging if too hot. The part number is 1067348-00-C

Anyway, why should it just start melting?
Usually that is because of the wire crimp to a voltage pin inside the J1772 handle is coming loose. That makes a smaller, weaker metal to metal connection, which makes it very resistive, which builds up a lot of heat really fast. So then when that pin gets really hot inside the handle, it's conducting that into the interface from the handle to your adapter. That's what melts it.

Doesn't it communicate with the car?
Communicate some things, yes. But I don't think it can sense that far out. I'm not sure if the charge port in the car has a temperature sensor in it, but this is happening a few inches away, out inside the interface from the plug into the adapter. So the car still might not be able to directly sense that enough.

Mine is also now ruined! The last time it worked it was very warm when unplugged. The next day it wouldn't plug into the charger cord - you can see a frothy looking substance (melted plastic?) filling part of one hole. I had used that free public charger several times before without problem. It does have two cords so I don't know which one was used which time. Anyway, why should it just start melting? Doesn't it communicate with the car? It should shut off charging if too hot. The part number is 1067348-00-C
The temp sensor is inside the charge part itself, so the adapter took the brunt of the damage without overheating the car charge port. Good thing the adapters are only $50 now from Tesla.

It's possible the J1772 handle was defective.

The early Blink L2 EVSEs had Rema handles w/faulty crimps that would cause Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics) - My Nissan Leaf Forum and Honda.

A bunch of Mustart (crappy) L2 EVSEs have seemingly defective handles causes J1772 inlet damage:
What does Plugshare say for that location? Maybe someone else has encountered this?
Thank god for adapters.

Yes, sure glad its the adapter and not the car. Tesla Service says I can stop in and get a replacement which I'll do later this week. (BTW, do you have any documentation about the temperature sensor in the car?)

But I'm still concerned about being stuck somewhere remote with a damaged adapter or cord and not being able to finish charging. It seems like we need a strap-on temperature sensor that will give a warning if too hot. There are just too many ways to have a poor electrical connection.

Yes, sure glad its the adapter and not the car. Tesla Service says I can stop in and get a replacement which I'll do later this week. (BTW, do you have any documentation about the temperature sensor in the car?)

But I'm still concerned about being stuck somewhere remote with a damaged adapter or cord and not being able to finish charging. It seems like we need a strap-on temperature sensor that will give a warning if too hot. There are just too many ways to have a poor electrical connection.
honestly this is J1772's fault. Tesla charging handles have temperature sensors inside the charging handle: Where's the temperature sensor?

and at $50 for a J1772 adapter, it doesn't hurt the wallet much to have a spare.

if you look up the model 3 ccs diy retrofit thread, the guy documents his adventures with the temperature sensor(s) in the charge port.

So I picked up a new adapter yesterday - warranty exchange, no problem. Today I went back to the charger where I had the problem and, sure enough, one of the two cables has a dark/burnt looking pin. I used the other cable for a while without issue; everything stayed cool. I'll notify the owner on Monday.

Reactions: EdSt and Rocky_H
So I was using an EVGo L2 charger at my gym just now for my M3 and was charging for about 3 hours. I came back and unplugged the charger, but noticed it was really hot. I’ve charged at different L2s before and never came back to a hot charger. I didn’t think much of it, so I left to go to another L2 charger to finish charging my car while I chill at home. When I tried to plug my adapter in the new charger, I noticed the inside of my J1772 was slightly melted - WTF?? I read this could happen if there’s not good contact with the charger, but I made sure the charger clipped into my adapter, and on top of that, I bought a J1772 lock so people can’t unplug me. This should’ve made sure there was good enough contact for the adapter. Was it due to a faulty L2 or was this my own error??
The exact same thing has happened to me - three different times. I have Volta charging stations here at my office. Inevitably, after a few months, I run into the same issue where the adaptor gets warped (melts in the exact same charge contact hole). I don't use the same stations all the time - all based on availability. Tesla literarily told me that this can happen if the charging overheats with a 3rd party charging system. When I asked what 3rd party charges they advised I stay away from, they didn't have an answer. They told me it was the "luck of the draw". Love my Tesla, but not happy if I have to pay for a new adaptor 2-3 times per year. I'm removing key some of them hear out of my rotation - hoping that helps.

The exact same thing has happened to me - three different times. I have Volta charging stations here at my office. Inevitably, after a few months, I run into the same issue where the adaptor gets warped (melts in the exact same charge contact hole). I don't use the same stations all the time - all based on availability. Tesla literarily told me that this can happen if the charging overheats with a 3rd party charging system. When I asked what 3rd party charges they advised I stay away from, they didn't have an answer. They told me it was the "luck of the draw". Love my Tesla, but not happy if I have to pay for a new adaptor 2-3 times per year. I'm removing key some of them hear out of my rotation - hoping that helps.
A way to solve this is to lower the ampage in your app when you charge. I did this with the same station that melted my adapter and it doesn’t melt it anymore.