Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it's worth asking the local council if they have a strategy to improve the local access to EV charging in your area? Every little bit of pressure helps! There seems to be a great variation around the country with some being ready to support new initiatives such as charging from lampposts. Urban areas with an obligation to reduce pollution from vehicles should be looking positively at such things ... (OK I'll drop back into the real world ... probably not!)
I tried that a few weeks ago. Tweeted their feed twice and emailed twice. Zero response from either :(

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I like you have no charging facilities at home as I park on the street. One thing I do have is a charger at work so that is my main place. At weekends I have a few options to top up, I have 2 car parks where the 7kw charging is free and £1 all day on a Sunday to park or if you have a carpark nearby with charging you can leave over night for a similar price and get it topped up.

I do around 400- 500 miles a week and 13k in so far and have found it fairly painless.

You will find the first few weeks a bit daunting but a routine will happen and you start to know your car, what charging facilities are available and how fast it charges on the rapids or 7kw.

If out and about zapmaps is great and as someone mentioned above I find Polar to be one of the great networks. Ecotricity needs to improve!

Cables the type 2 is all you will need. The UMC as a slow backup if staying at family or friends. Rapids have their own cable.

Hope that helps :)
It does that's very reassuring thanks.

I do approx 200 miles per week, so have worked out I'd only need to charge once a week

I don't plan on letting it get below 20% before charging,

I think it would be more realistic if your plan was to charge when below 50%, so twice a week. You may also need to allow for some parasitic usage - when you access the car from APP or 3rd party logging / scheduling utilities (might be best to forgo / curtail them ...)

If you return home much less than 50% (i.e. after a longer journey) then, speaking for myself, I would be looking to charge. Maybe any such longer trips would have Supercharger fairly close to home on your return journey and you could top-off there? A Better Route Planner is good for checking out your longer journeys and where you would Supercharge / how long it would take.

Rapid DC charging above 60-70% slows down, and above 90% is a lot slower. On 7kW it makes little/no difference, but best to only charge above 90% when planning to drive on a trip so that battery isn't left sitting above 90%. Similarly charge to prevent battery sitting below 10%. So your day-to-day usable battery is, say, 90% down to 20% - 70% of total - leaving some contingency for detours / foul weather.

I would be having a go at both employer for charge at work (assuming you have a single location / car park), we got a government grant of 50% for the ones we put in work car park and they are on show for all visitors and make us look "green" (we are anyway ... but for companies that aren't it can't hurt ...) and also local council (Didn't Boris give them £500 million for your charger? :D)

I admire anyone without off-road / home charging who takes the EV plunge

Reactions: Nick77
@Nick77

One thing to remeber if you park on the street is if you are going to use Sentry mode at night?. This consumes around 5% between 8pm-6am on a SR+ (not sure on LR & P). Also if you use Teslafi or similar you can have this scheduled to turn off and on at certain times during the day.

Also if you need to preheat the car which gobbles up electrons (I limit this to 10min before i leave as this seems to be just enough)

Reactions: Nick77
I was planning on using Sentry but probably not 24/7. Certainly not at work.

Good to know Teslafi can schedule this as I was going to get that too as well.

Sentry mode is location aware, so can be linked to home and/or favorites (all or nothing for latter). So it can arm/disarm automatically just from using in car functionality. TeslaFi can be a bit more granular with where it may arm itself, but I'm not sure if it will disarm at the end. However, you can obviously additionally schedule to arm/disarm at a specific time and, if required, at a specific location.

Lots of other reasons still to use David's TeslaFi referral code though.

• Funny
Reactions: Nick77 and davidmc
TeslaFi is going to add some additional consumption ... Depending on how well "sleep settings" can be set up (i.e. and the the risk of missing some journeys)

I'm not sure how relevant it would be, but I had occasion to set off from Alps, stone-cold, in a garage showing about 2C , with pre-heating which turned that battery heater on before departure. That used about 5% of battery (before I had driven anywhere).

Not pre-conditioning (in winter) is likely to mean no/little Regen, so that will add to inefficiency (using friction brakes instead of Regen). Not sure how much difference that will make, if journeys are "straight on to motorway" then unlikely to do much braking, and the battery may well warm enough before more fiddly roads are encountered.

Reduced regen occurs at anything below about 10C, so its not just "the dead of winter"

I’m in exactly the same position as you.
We have an SR+ and live in flats with no charge point at home.

We use solely public charging with Polar plus which is very good in Nottingham and Derby with the local authority scheme being tied in. There are a good number of 50kw rapid chargers dotted around, some in convenient locations near supermarkets or leisure centres. They are mostly new so haven’t had issues with dysfunctional chargers yet.

With Polar plus some of the charging is only 12p/kWh.

The car is my wife’s and she commutes to and from Manchester once a week so total mileage is around 300, she usually has to charge up twice with an average cost of £3.50 to £4.50 each time (going from 20-80%). We do also top up at the 7kw chargers in Asda for free occasionally. For the last 3 months our average Polar Plus bill has been £35 per month along with about £10-15 for the occasional Tesla supercharge.

It’s manageable as long as you are still prepared for a slight adaptation to how you behave. Usually we can get our shopping done whilst it’s charging, if not the Netflix works very well on the big screen.

If contacting your local council it may be worth highlighting the following (ORCS stands for On-street residential charge point scheme):

ORCS
Local authorities can apply for a grant to cover part of the capital costs of installing chargepoints for residents who lack off-street parking. The grant rate will be set at £6,500 per chargepoint. We can extend this to £7,500 per chargepoint in certain circumstances and only on occasions where a local authority has demonstrated a need for this level of support. The change in the grant rate, from £7,500 to £6,500, will apply for applications for the 2020/21 financial year.

By lowering the cap we will be able to support more chargepoints with the available funding. This will enable us to support more local authorities overall and contribute to a better spread of chargepoints across the country. We want to make sure every local authority in the country has the chance to access this funding so we can level up provision across the UK.

Further, while the scheme will remain broadly first come, first serve, we will look to prioritise on basis of need and whether previous funding has been awarded in order to ensure we level up provision across the country.

Update on the infrastructure grants schemes