Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public untethered charger problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I want to see if anyone else has this problem with their Model 3. I've got a home charger with a tethered cable - works just fine. Generally I get no problems with public tethered chargers (although those chargers other than Superchargers usually tend to be slower than advertised!) But the ones that tend to be really temperamental are the untethered ones where I need to use my Tesla-supplied type-2 cable.

I had previously assumed that this was just down to faulty chargers but I've had a few instances where I can't make it work and given up - then 5 mins later a different vehicle comes along and they seem to use the chargers fine.

The usual error messages I get are about the charger being unable to talk to the Model 3 and the handshaking takes much longer than with a tethered cable. Sometimes it's absolutely fine but sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's takes three or four goes to get it going. More often than not it's the non-contactless that tend to give me the problems- and I mean credit cards not those pesky RFID tags.

Anyone else have anything similar or got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris