Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured seat! Screw it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that was stupid. I left a screwdriver in my back pocket pointing out and forgot about it. Then sat in my 3 to move it 40 feet, got up and found the damage.. the seat is ripped just under an inch across!

In a high wear area too so if I don’t fix it, it’ll surely get worse. What does a fix look like though?? My 4 year old in the back seat was very consoling and told me to just sew it up..

That or some kind of ugly stick on patch?

Why. Oh Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Well that was stupid. I left a screwdriver in my back pocket pointing out and forgot about it. Then sat in my 3 to move it 40 feet, got up and found the damage.. the seat is ripped just under an inch across!

In a high wear area too so if I don’t fix it, it’ll surely get worse. What does a fix look like though?? My 4 year old in the back seat was very consoling and told me to just sew it up..

That or some kind of ugly stick on patch?

Why. Oh Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Calm down. As a mechanic I have seen this happen numerous times.
There are companies that can patch and blend the repair in so you will not know it's there. And it should be pretty easy since this is not leather.
Our local guy drives to the dealerships or customers homes. You can even have it repaired at work.
Ask any local domestic dealer who they are using.

Calm down. As a mechanic I have seen this happen numerous times.
There are companies that can patch and blend the repair in so you will not know it's there. And it should be pretty easy since this is not leather.
Our local guy drives to the dealerships or customers homes. You can even have it repaired at work.
Ask any local domestic dealer who they are using.
This.

many interior guy worth a crap can fix it up and you probably won’t even be able to tell

You don't need a whole new seat, that much is for certain. But I personally haven't been impressed with 'seat repairs' and the vegan leather seats.

LeatherTec attempted to remove/hide dried roof glass adhesive on my passenger seat, and while it looked flawless for ~2 weeks it quickly failed with constant getting in/out of the car.

Instead they replaced the seat cover. Yep you can just have Tesla order you a new seat cover if you want peace of mind but I'm not sure on $$$ as mine was part of delivery due bill. That said, SCs prices have often surprised me (both good and bad). If the OEM replacement is pricey you could always get some of those TAPTES or other brand etc. seat covers. They look at least semi-convincing from what I can tell.

• Informative
Reactions: Bill Foster
+1 on finding a good leather repair guy. A few years ago I took my brand new G63 to the powdercoater and had removed the brush guard and had it in the back cargo area (seats folded down) to save a few minutes (instead of removing it when I got there). I had a momentary lapse in judgement and went around the on-ramp to the toll road a bit too fast and ended up sending the sharp edge of the brush guard right into the rear door panel. I thought I was going to have a heart attack on the side of the freeway. I called the dealer and they quoted me $4,600 to get a new door panel from Austria. I ended up finding a leather repair guy in LA and he came down to my office and 'patched' it up the next day. $200 fix and it was 100% indistinguishable from when new. It's a small price to pay to be a bit more careful in the future!

• Informative
Reactions: Bill Foster