Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase in WI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Philekins

MS LR MSM / Black 19” ordered 4/3 RN1147 - Chicago
Apr 6, 2021
Wisconsin
So I will be purchasing an MS when production deliveries start..

I’m based in Wi so I have a few questions for other wi purchasers…. I have held of on organizing financing until closer to the time… when Tesla does final delivery will WI sales tax be accounted for and I can roll it into the finance number or will it be a separate charge the wi DMV will hit me up for ??

Also pickup wise I selected highland park for simplicity but recommendations on the best location around here (Or surrounding states) if I spot obvious issues they can maybe fix while I wait ??

thanks

I live in Milwaukee. I bought used M3 from the Tesla website in March 2021. It was from MD, but to save on shipping fee's I had it shipped to Indianapolis Tesla and drove there to pick it up. I was charged the 5 percent sales tax for WI when I bought the car and paid that when I purchased it. But I didnt get charged for title fee's and had to pay that after I picked it up (plus WI charges an extra 100.00 for ev for license! That irritated me, I would of thought they would give you more of a credit for being green) Regardless I believe each state is different how they collect. Some you dont pay right away, and pay later when you do your title. When I went to register my title after WI is all online now and it was trying to get me to pay my taxes again for it and I had to call and they said to just fill the form out and show your documents with proof that you paid your sales tax and write in there paid, which I did and send it in to WI. I didnt have any issues doing that. I just calculated what I owed for title transfer and license and included a check for that. Illinois and OH you pay extra tax for picking it up there, but dont know the exact details. Just remember if I would of picked up there it had some tax implications. I would check with your SA you work for questions. I had a great experience picking up in Indianapolis. It went flawless. Nice 4 hour drive home too. My situation is a little different being a used Tesla then yours, but currently you cant pick up in WI because of the laws for WI. I dont know where you live, but the Twin cities would be another option for no tax implications. Hope that helps some.

Highland Park is just fine for a pickup location. Tesla selects the closed one for you. Then you must be in SE/E WI. Delivery fee is part of the purchase price even on the website. That's the 1200 destination fee. Sales tax will not be accounted for as you have to handle that your self after you receive the paper work from Tesla. If Tesla was allowed direct Sales it would be included. You pay 5% for the state and another based on the county you live in. You can go find the MV-1 form on the WIDOT website and give it a look through. You do not have to pay IL tax when picking up there, you only have to pay WI tax. A used car is much different tax wise. :)

If you are a regular on FB, I'd recommend hitting up the Tesla Owners Wisconsin group and/or the club website (Tesla Club Wisconsin), that is a sanctioned Tesla Owners Group. We answer this type of question all the time.