Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a M3 that's only been supercharged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ownership of the CAR has to transfer to the new owner though in order for Tesla
to be able to bill the new owner when he uses a supercharger.
I was just referring that it takes some time to have the Supercharger billing activated, from what I read from another thread,
as someone needing to use a Supercharger on his way home after getting a used Tesla, so he gave the information
of a temporary pre-paid credit card to the previous owner to keep the Supercharger active until the final Tesla transfer.

Oh wow, I didn't know that payment for supercharging had to be transferred. Thanks for the heads up, because it's a long trip to where he lives, so I would definitely need to charge a couple of times on the way home. But there should be time to get it transferred, so I'll talk to him about it.

Reactions: Watts_Up
About the FSD, do you know if the owner bought it (or got the $2,000 discount last May 2019)?
If so, it should be transferred then but good to check since you should get the upgrade to 3.0.

He doesn't have FSD, and going by the description, I don't think he even has enhanced Autopilot. I get confused about what has came standard with the different models at different time periods. Either way, I asked him if it would costs more than the $7k for FSD since he doesn't have Autopilot, and he said no. I'm guessing that's right? My plan is, as soon as he turns the app over to me, I'm purchasing it for the drive home.

He doesn't have FSD, and going by the description, I don't think he even has enhanced Autopilot. I get confused about what has came standard with the different models at different time periods. Either way, I asked him if it would costs more than the $7k for FSD since he doesn't have Autopilot, and he said no. I'm guessing that's right? My plan is, as soon as he turns the app over to me, I'm purchasing it for the drive home.
Check also if he got the rear spoiler, may be he received it but it was not installed. Idem for the Dual Motor emblem.
You should get the portable charger with a 15A and 50A adapter, and a J1772 plug. Also an USB-Micro USB and lightning.
Does he has carpet covers? That's the first thing that I will get otherwise.

Oh wow, I didn't know that payment for supercharging had to be transferred. Thanks for the heads up, because it's a long trip to where he lives, so I would definitely need to charge a couple of times on the way home. But there should be time to get it transferred, so I'll talk to him about it.
Do you have to fly there or to drive? This seems a lot of logistic work.
Also, are you in the same state, as you might have to paid taxes twice?
Like I read about a CPO sold in California and sent to Florida.

He does have the rear spoiler and the emblem, although he said the emblem isn't on the car. I still need to find out about the charger, but I'm sure he'd have it. And he has rubber mats. As far as logistics, yeah, it's going to be a total pain. He's about 8 hours away, and the car is financed, so I can't just give him the money and immediately get the title. I'm going to make 2 trips. One to test drive the car, sign and notarize a bill of sale, and pay for the car. And then once the lien is released and he gets the title, he'll mail it to me, I'll get registration in my name (along with paying the sales tax), and then I'll fly back to get the car. Not ideal, but it's the closest M3 Performance I can find.

He does have the rear spoiler and the emblem, although he said the emblem isn't on the car. I still need to find out about the charger, but I'm sure he'd have it. And he has rubber mats. As far as logistics, yeah, it's going to be a total pain. He's about 8 hours away, and the car is financed, so I can't just give him the money and immediately get the title. I'm going to make 2 trips. One to test drive the car, sign and notarize a bill of sale, and pay for the car. And then once the lien is released and he gets the title, he'll mail it to me, I'll get registration in my name (along with paying the sales tax), and then I'll fly back to get the car. Not ideal, but it's the closest M3 Performance I can find.
You could also consider shipping to avoid the second trip? I would try getting an estimate and compare with
the cost of flying, driving and may be staying in an hotel and adding mileage to the car, and having to take time off.
But the first driving experience would be certainly unique and enjoyable otherwise.

Reactions: rdross80
Just wanted to say congratulations, and I'm sorry.

Congratulations, because you're about to own the most amazing car on the road today.
I'm sorry, because you're also about to have a new obsession.

You'll love it - and I'd be wholly unconcerned about the battery. 7700 miles is a baby. Not much you can do to hurt it in that timeframe.

Let us know what you think after the test drive .... although I'm sure we all know the answer.

Just wanted to say congratulations, and I'm sorry.

Congratulations, because you're about to own the most amazing car on the road today.
I'm sorry, because you're also about to have a new obsession.

You'll love it - and I'd be wholly unconcerned about the battery. 7700 miles is a baby. Not much you can do to hurt it in that timeframe.

Let us know what you think after the test drive .... although I'm sure we all know the answer.

Ha, yeah I'm already looking into a ceramic coating, window tint, and I'm probably going to switch over to some matte black wheels. I may look into some custom lighting, but I don't want to get too garish with it. I have a feeling this is going to be a huge money sink that should be instead going into some home remodeling, lol.

Reactions: duanra
Ha, yeah I'm already looking into a ceramic coating, window tint, and I'm probably going to switch over to some matte black wheels. I may look into some custom lighting, but I don't want to get too garish with it. I have a feeling this is going to be a huge money sink that should be instead going into some home remodeling, lol.

Oh, you're done. If you're planning wheels, you're committed. :) Might as well just bring the check with you to the test drive! LOL.

So, here's "Dennis' list of fairly inexpensive stuff you might want to consider because they really help ..."

#1: A wrap for the center console. I used the brushed black one here: Model 3 Center Console Vinyl Wrap but there's lots of options available. The standard piano black attracts fingerprints like flies to *sugar* ...

#2: Navak USB splitter. Will deliver maximum power for charging phones and lets you actually USE those front USB ports effectively: https://amzn.com/B07Z2KQ719
(** Note: this was developed and built by one of our own TMC members; he's graciously offered discount codes here: Custom USB splitter solution for M3

#3: Screen protector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKGDC5M/ Possibly unnecessary, but cheap protection "just in case" ...

#4: Brighter lights for the trunk: Pick and Mix LED Lights - Pick and Mix LED Lights Model 3 - Abstract Ocean

Now if you want to get crazy fancy, I like the MAXpider floor mats - front seats, rear seats, trunk and frunk... but those will cost more than all of the above combined. And there's plenty of other options too - MAXpider are just the ones I've chosen to go with.

Lots of mods to do! But the 4 above are my "starter kit" recommendations.. :)

Oh, you're done. If you're planning wheels, you're committed. :) Might as well just bring the check with you to the test drive! LOL.

So, here's "Dennis' list of fairly inexpensive stuff you might want to consider because they really help ..."

#1: A wrap for the center console. I used the brushed black one here: Model 3 Center Console Vinyl Wrap but there's lots of options available. The standard piano black attracts fingerprints like flies to *sugar* ...

#2: Navak USB splitter. Will deliver maximum power for charging phones and lets you actually USE those front USB ports effectively: https://amzn.com/B07Z2KQ719
(** Note: this was developed and built by one of our own TMC members; he's graciously offered discount codes here: Custom USB splitter solution for M3

#3: Screen protector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKGDC5M/ Possibly unnecessary, but cheap protection "just in case" ...

#4: Brighter lights for the trunk: Pick and Mix LED Lights - Pick and Mix LED Lights Model 3 - Abstract Ocean

Now if you want to get crazy fancy, I like the MAXpider floor mats - front seats, rear seats, trunk and frunk... but those will cost more than all of the above combined. And there's plenty of other options too - MAXpider are just the ones I've chosen to go with.

Lots of mods to do! But the 4 above are my "starter kit" recommendations.. :)

Thanks for the list! I've been browsing around trying to figure out all what I could add. I've never really been a car guy until now. It feels like Teslas are on a whole different level for me. I actually already saw the MAXpider floor mats in a video and they look very worthwhile for the protection factor alone. But yeah, they are pricey.

Ha, yeah I'm already looking into a ceramic coating, window tint, and I'm probably going to switch over to some matte black wheels.
I may look into some custom lighting, but I don't want to get too garish with it. I have a feeling this is going to be a huge money sink
that should be instead going into some home remodeling, lol.
Do you know if the body color is the (defunct) Obsidian Black Metallic or the more standard Solid Black?

I'm looking at buying a Model 3 and I asked the guy how he's been charging it and he said he lives in a condo, so he's only been able to use the Superchargers. It has roughly 7700 miles on it. Should I be concerned about the battery life being degraded any because of this? He said he's mainly just driven it locally and he's never charged it past 80%. I asked if he's noticed any range loss, and he said no, but I'm sure he wouldn't be too truthful if he's wanting to sell it for a good price. With such low miles, I think it would be okay, but I was curious as to other's opinions.
I wouldn't worry about it. Car is under warranty.

If he truly never charged it above 80 percent, the pack will be unbalanced like crazy. You'll need to run it to very nearly zero percent and full charge to 100 percent at least once to get it straightened out.

thinking about what you wrote; I think you are confusing this with the *calibration* of the SOC meter. yes, to calibrate the 'distance meter' it helps to see more of a full usage range (deplete lower and charge higher) but that is not anything to do with balancing.

BMS (batt mgmt systems) are ALWAYS running. and when the car sleeps, it often does a more aggressive balance.

FYI: sometimes Tesla takes up to a month to get app access transferred. Yes, that is ridiculous, but their process for it is apparently very manual. I think they also require proof of your registration for the vehicle, so that might not be able to be done on the spot. So, if you want FSD on the drive home, it might be best to pay the current owner the cost and have him buy it in the app for you.

FYI: sometimes Tesla takes up to a month to get app access transferred. Yes, that is ridiculous, but their process for it is apparently very manual. I think they also require proof of your registration for the vehicle, so that might not be able to be done on the spot. So, if you want FSD on the drive home, it might be best to pay the current owner the cost and have him buy it in the app for you.

Will that cause a problem with Supercharging it on the way home?