Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Push for Autopilot 3.0 hardware now or wait for 4.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than an inability to see low/close to the vehicle.

Which is probably not a huge issue in highway driving, but a fairly big one in the long run for things like enhanced summon and park-seek modes...

(there's also some argument the range of the side cameras might be insufficient for cross-traffic at speed- at ~75 mph there's less than 2 seconds from when an object is at max range of those cameras until it's in the same physical space you are- but I dunno how "hard" that range cutoff really is)

Have you seen the video @GreenTheOnly posted from a HW2.5 he bought of a Tesla getting t-boned? The front cameras show absolutely nothing, but the side cameras clearly show the car approaching for a decent amount of time. Actually watching the video was tough - you could see the other car barreling down the road for quite a while and you just knew it would end badly.
That car wasn't on autopilot, but I believe eventually autopilot will start using those camera for collision detection.

Edit: Here's a link. green on Twitter

Have you seen the video @GreenTheOnly posted from a HW2.5 he bought of a Tesla getting t-boned? The front cameras show absolutely nothing, but the side cameras clearly show the car approaching for a decent amount of time. Actually watching the video was tough - you could see the other car barreling down the road for quite a while and you just knew it would end badly.
That car wasn't on autopilot, but I believe eventually autopilot will start using those camera for collision detection.

I did see it- though it's unclear the speed of the oncoming vehicle, and even then it was really only visible for about 3 seconds (which implies it was going nearer 50-55 than 75)

Where it gets interesting is let's say it's a 75 mph car- so time from "seeing" to "hitting" is under 2 seconds- how long does it take the car to see it, and also figure out if it's planning to stop or not (for things like a 4 way stop).

Obviously humans screw this up too- they did in the accident shown in the video- so the existing cameras are PROBABLY good enough to equal or beat humans at this, with the exception of the inability to lean forward for semi-obstructed views- the B-pillar cams are stuck where they are.

I saw that, and looked again after your post. My first thought was how visible the car was with the white paint contrasted with the green trees behind it. A darker color would've been harder to see, I wonder how often the system would accurately see different colored cars in the same situation. I believe these only use 1.2 megapixel cameras, which may hinder accurately predicting the speed of oncoming traffic.

I don't worry about it, though. People far smarter than me designed the system, so look forward to see features improved in the coming months.