Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pushing turn signals "Fully" requires excessively strong force?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To engage "continuous" turn signals or auto lane change, the Model 3 requires you press the level fully up or down. For 800 miles I couldn't get it to work reliably by pushing the turn signal stalk all the way down or up and holding it there.

I finally figured out that if I quickly apply enough pressure to bounce the signals fully up or down it works consistently. Is this how it works in your Model 3? Is this an issue, or did my previous car (2015 VW Golf) just have extremely light turn signals?

To engage "continuous" turn signals or auto lane change, the Model 3 requires you press the level fully up or down. For 800 miles I couldn't get it to work reliably by pushing the turn signal stalk all the way down or up and holding it there.

I finally figured out that if I quickly apply enough pressure to bounce the signals fully up or down it works consistently. Is this how it works in your Model 3? Is this an issue, or did my previous car (2015 VW Golf) just have extremely light turn signals?

Could be a faulty stalk. I've been waiting for a replacement since I received the car in Sep.

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

The signals are never meant to he "held there" They have always been push down and release. Just like every other car.

Most other cars just stay in place by themselves. I'm only aware of Tesla & BMW that have them return to center.

Either way, the point is this being my 4th car (previous cars being two hondas and a VW), it takes way way more force to engage the continuous turn signal than I've experienced. I'm curious if this is something that others find to be true, in which case it's probably a purposeful decision and I just need to adjust. If not, there could be an issue with the stalk and I should take it in for service. I'll count your dismissive comment as "Mine don't work like that".

Same problem here and it's quite annoying. Dropped off my 3 yesterday at the SC and told them about it. They told me its a known issue and they recognize it and will replace the whole unit inside the steering wheel housing. Happy to hear they know about it and will try to fix it.

I'll report back here

Reactions: redscott
I agree it takes a lot more force than most. I like it, though, because I tend to push too hard too often when I just want the quick 3 blinks, and I end up turning them on. In this car, that never happens, which is nice.

Either way, the point is this being my 4th car (previous cars being two hondas and a VW), it takes way way more force to engage the continuous turn signal than I've experienced

I've not noticed it being too hard to engage; also you can lightly hold it down (or up) and it will blink until you release, kinda better than just 3 blinks but you don't need to cancel it like the full engage if it's just a lane change type thing..

I've not noticed it being too hard to engage; also you can lightly hold it down (or up) and it will blink until you release, kinda better than just 3 blinks but you don't need to cancel it like the full engage if it's just a lane change type thing..

Holding it up or down doesn't work for me reliably. Works about half the time. Really need to *bounce* it off the bottom or top for it to trigger reliably. This post is making me think there is something wrong with my turn signals.

Yes, the force required is higher than my other cars. I bet they're all like that. Think of it as exercise.
I haven't tried holding the turn signals at the second detent. I'm not sure why you would want to do that since it stays on by itself at the second detent.

changing lanes where 3 blinks is not enough and you don't want to cancel after; useful when someone knows you want to move over and is all like huh??
I think I may be confused.
Tap to first detent = 3 blinks
Hold at first detent = continuous blinking until released
Tap to second detect = continuous blinking until canceled (either by completing turn or tapping the opposite direction). Just like a normal mechanical tune signal.
Hold at second detent = ? I don't know. Never tried.

I think this is the normal operation.

My 3 AWD was delivered on Sept 30 with a faulty turn signal stalk. I was unable to reliably hit the "temporary blink" on the left-blink side. The Service Center replaced the faulty part and it has worked perfectly since then. I'd suggest a service appointment, because now all 4 turn-signal engage positions work as expected, without excessive force.