Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting car in park does not fully transition to parked state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For at least a couple weeks now I've been having a chronic issue with my M3 not fully transitioning to "parked state" when I put it in park. The display still shows the car in "drive mode" with sensor warnings present rather than the buttons to pop the drunk, trunk or charger.

Anyone else seeing this? I've done a half dozen reboots to no avail. Yesterday I did a full restart (brake + steering wheel buttons) and thought it fixed it but woke up to it again today. Super frustrated. Can't get an appt until mid May.

Attachments

• 8601DFE1-A81F-4ABC-B83A-46CF0C8D3BD7.jpeg
    8601DFE1-A81F-4ABC-B83A-46CF0C8D3BD7.jpeg
    915 KB · Views: 109
Try doing a power off reset, instructions from the manual below. I don’t believe pressing the brake while doing a scroll wheel reset makes any difference, despite the fact that many people think so.

Power Cycling the Vehicle​

You can power cycle Model 3 if it demonstrates unusual behavior or displays a nondescript alert.
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

I had this happen once. I assumed that it was just the user interface out of sync with the car. Instead of rebooting I just put the car back into drive, then back into park, and then it was fine. It's been a couple of weeks since I have seen this and I recall whether I was running 2022.8.2 or 2022.4.5.? at the time.

Here's the million dollar question: is the car in park but the UI doesn't know it? Or did the car fail to get into the park and the UI is correct? It seems safest to assume the latter.

Thanks y'all. Will try the "power off for 2 minutes" reset. Nothing else has worked but it is a little sporadic. Sometimes starts working again. Sometimes does not.

Fwiw, I can hear the parking break engage, so I know it's the UI (at a minimum) that is out of sync. Not confidence inspiring though. And makes its pain in the butt to pick up kids or people at the airport without easy access to pop the trunk.