Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puzzled by battery % drop after parking for 30 minutes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
I was on my way home, and stopped at a grocery store with 14% battery being reported by my S 100D. After shopping for about 30 minutes I returned to the car to find it reporting only an 8% charge. The temperature was about 55 F and I had been driving for 170 miles before stopping at the store. What is the cause of this 6% drop over 30 minutes? The climate controls were off in the car, and the battery had to be nice and warm after driving 170 miles at 70 mph. Any ideas?

I drove the car 3 miles over to a supercharger where it reported 7% battery when I plugged in.

7percent.jpeg

I've definitely experienced the exact same - happens when you drive a long distance (Eg drive continously from 90 percent to 15 percent).. After car sits for a bit, a huge drop in range may occur. I attributed this is to incorrect battery calibration during the drive...
Other experiences or input?

I had the exact same problem on a couple of occasions with my P90D. Arrived home with 13% charge, then about 15 minutes later got a message from the app saying the charge was very low...had a look and it was 7%. In my case ambient temp. was around 85 f which should not impact the battery soc significantly on cooling.

I did call the sc but didnt get a call back yet.

It is a little worrying if I cant depend on the last 6-7% during a road trip. I have noticed once before odd behaviour where the power limit lines flicker on and off on low charge. I am worried I have a faulty module.

Alex

I used to get warnings in my 2015 S when stopping with low % after long drives, something along the line that the car can lose more range while parked. Last I saw one of those was probably 2 years ago, but then again, I haven't dropped to sub 25% SoC since then.