Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q for the Lucky Folks who Own Two Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CmdrThor There is a paradigm shift with a Tesla vs a LEAF or other short range car, that is what is really important. When we had a LEAF, indeed we were always looking for charging away from home, including at work. Couldn't take the LEAF out of town, etc. With a Tesla, You only need to charge away from home on long trips, unless you have a 200 mile/day commute! My workplace has 120V charging available for those with the short range cars, I have never considered charging my Tesla there. Funny to say, but I'd be embarrassed to charge my Tesla a work. Basically, by charging to 90% or even 80% each night and just driving the car to work and back and for whatever errands you have to do still leaves you with plenty of range at the end of the day. Teslas really only need away from home charging on Roadtrips that require more than 200 mile ( 100 miles each way) trips. If you regularly drive more than 200 miles a day, then an electric car is probably not for you. I might add, that the best part owning a Tesla is the supercharger network for making those long distance drives.. When we drive up to Phoenix from Tucson, ~110 miles each way, We start the trip charged to 100%, then we stop at the Supercharger in Casa Grande for about 5 min, and still manage to arrive at home with about 20miles range remaining. And as the Supercharger network expands, it's even easier for long distance travel. Last summer I drove from AZ to IN, and it was dicey, since I-40 superchargers were not completed in several places, This year, we'll do the trip again, and the supercharger coverage has been filled in, so no sweating those 240 mile stretches w/o a supercharger or using Chadmos that aren't very reliable along the way.

in summary, for local driving, just plug it in at home, for long distance driving use the superchargers, and if you have two cars to charge, I'd at least put in a charger for each, whether it's a 14-50, HPWC or J1772, is really up to you and the amount of power available from your panel

Put in a second one. As I am typing this both cars are charging at the same time. First world problem/resolution: You got 400amp service: Use it you lucky s.o.b. :wink:

We have 2x 14-50's, but have the cars set to only charge at 25 amps, since out entire house only has 150 amp service. If there is ever a time when only 1 car is charging, and we need to top off before going anyplace, we will boost it up to 40 amps. I really need to invest in better electrical service.

We have one NEMA 14-50. My wife generally charges at work (or the airport).
She was recently out of the country for ten days and I had her car on L1 for the duration.
My breaker box and the expansion box are completely maxed out.

But with your 400A service, makes sense just to add the second outlet.

Roadster and Model S. Old roadster HPWC and Model S adapter. since we can go 200miles on each we can adjust and plan. Mostly overnight charging on our reduced rate electricity. A few times have to change early in the evening the other car but not too often. One plug is manageable. 200 amp service.

We own two Model S's. I have a HPWC @ 80 A and a standard 120 V that we use. My wife doesn't drive as much every day as me, so plugging overnight on trickle charge works well for her. Any long trips she has planned; she just plugs into the HPWC. We have not felt the need to install another HPWC or 14-50. YMMV.

We only have one Tesla now...but second on way..but two houses for the two of them...

But forget about our situation -

What's important for your circumstance is that although you have 400A service, it might be possible that you are close to tapped out, and haven't the ability to put in another 14-50 or HPWC or even a bathroom nightlight (ain't hyperbole great?).

All right, so you need to determine that or, if you don't know how, have your electrician let you know the good or bad news. Let's assume that you do​ have the ability to add.

My suggestion is that the best combination of function and cost would be to supply your garage with one HPWC and one 14-50 and, if at all possible, to have both in a center strip so that adjacent vehicles can use both. You'll get the speed of the 80A charger and the overnight soak of the 40A. This should absolutely be sufficient in every reasonable case for you. The reason I would suggest springing for one HPWC is that it's not difficult at all to envision a time when both vehicles are close to depleted and both will be needed in a fairly short time. But if you think that's not likely to occur, then two 14-50s should be fine. I don't think you'll be happy for long with only one of them.

I have 2 80A HPWC's, plus a 14-50, a 6-50, and a 6-30 that I can use. But what else would you expect from me? :)

EV charging receptacles must be on independent branch circuits, so you'll require a separate circuit if you have a second power point. Unless you want to share a cord, put in that second circuit, especially with that service size.

PS: If you want to see and hear what 150A EV load looks like (Model S @ 80A + Model X @ 70A) without any of the solar PV helping, here you go:

You can see the kWh's increasing on this meter, one for every couple of minutes. (Non-electronic mechanical meter required for net metering with my utility.)

Last edited by a moderator: