Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QI Wireless Phone Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were you able to fit the board and charging pad altogether in the flip panel? Or just the pad and relocated the control board elsewhere? I'm afraid I'll end up with a charger too thick or with too short of wires!

Minor technical note for those folks who use a magnetic phone mount (like this one Magnetic Phone Holder (Slimline))...

In CA we are required to keep our phones on some kind of mount (not hand held). I have this mount in both of our S, and we have used them with our iPhone 7s. The new iPhone 8 & X have Qi charging (...Apple catching up). If you mount the thin metallic adhesive plate to the center of the back side of your new phone, you will interfere with wireless charging. So I had to change the location of the thin adhesive disc to the upper end of the back of my new iPhone X.

Minor technical note for those folks who use a magnetic phone mount (like this one Magnetic Phone Holder (Slimline))...

In CA we are required to keep our phones on some kind of mount (not hand held). I have this mount in both of our S, and we have used them with our iPhone 7s. The new iPhone 8 & X have Qi charging (...Apple catching up). If you mount the thin metallic adhesive plate to the center of the back side of your new phone, you will interfere with wireless charging. So I had to change the location of the thin adhesive disc to the upper end of the back of my new iPhone X.
Yeah, I had to do the same, more or less as high as it will go without getting too close to the camera. To date I've tried 7 options for inside the car, many of which are compatible with our existing phone mount but none have offered a great experience. Still searching. Here's where I have my disk:

upload_2017-11-12_18-38-34.png

• Informative
Reactions: eye.surgeon
Yeah, I had to do the same, more or less as high as it will go without getting too close to the camera. To date I've tried 7 options for inside the car, many of which are compatible with our existing phone mount but none have offered a great experience. Still searching. Here's where I have my disk:

View attachment 259837

Hi Pete---

An additional note or 2...

I don't like to stick the metallic disc onto the back of my iPhone (really hard to neatly get it off later). I do use the Apple thin leather case on my iPhone (covers the back and sides). So I just set the metallic disc onto the back of my iPhone (now X) at the desired location (...maybe a bit lower down that you have yours) and snap the leather case onto the back side. The case is tight enough to hold the disc in place without needing to use the adhesive.

I did see your note on your site about getting a larger disc and magnetic plate for the heavier iPhone X...need to do that. With the heavier phone and the offset disc, it is less secure on the mount especially when driving over bumps.

Thanks.

And a final further note, I actually stick the disk to the inside of the case I'm using, rather than to the back of the phone, the pic was just to show positioning :)

...then the surface of the disc can abrade the back side of the phone (with microscopic movement). That's why I keep the side with the backing paper over the adhesive towards the phone (...especially with the iPhone X glass back) and the metal face towards the leather case.

Everyone here seems to be very compulsive and is going to extreme lengths to implement wireless charging. I, OTOH, am lazy and of the KISS persuasion.
I just bought two QI chargers (one for me and one for my wife) and set them flat on the floor of the center console.
This works great and is easy. No fiddling. Just set the phone down and just pick it up. Always stays in place.
Installation time... about one minuteIMG_20150430_123644.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: eye.surgeon
Everyone here seems to be very compulsive and is going to extreme lengths to implement wireless charging. I, OTOH, am lazy and of the KISS persuasion.
I just bought two QI chargers (one for me and one for my wife) and set them flat on the floor of the center console.
This works great and is easy. No fiddling. Just set the phone down and just pick it up. Always stays in place.
Installation time... about one minuteView attachment 259948
Aaah, look at all that lovely open space....I miss that!

Make sure you get an adapter for the 12V socket to use as you need a minimum of 1A. The USB sockets on the Tesla are only 500ma on the front and 750ma on the rear. Not enough power for even slow wireless charging. I tested the sockets on my S using an inline meter and variable resistive load, increasing the load while monitoring current and voltage. Above 500ma the voltage starts dropping quickly which means the current draw is exceeding the capability of the source. I had nothing plugged into the other outlets when testing (one at a time). I have seen posts claiming 1A from these but that is not what an accurate meter and test load shows.

So... I did it!

It was not easy for me, and I had a couple of hiccups along the way, but the final solution works well -- an identical design to that of the OP. I had hoped that the wireless charging would work through my phone case, but unfortunately it does not. It did work reliably in the case when I tested it inside, probably because the plug in charger was of higher amperage than the USB port in the car. Oh well, so the case is gone now and the S7 Edge looks sexier naked... as long as I don't drop it!

View attachment 210458 View attachment 210460 View attachment 210463 View attachment 210462

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but your first pic looks exactly like the ghosting image seen out of the X windshield that many of us has seen!!