Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Qs about Towing with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Took my 2016 MX on a camping trip this past weekend and for the first time towed the trailer. Turned heads, and those campground peeps sure do ask a lot of questions!

My question is two-fold; I kept getting an error message saying I was towing but "vehicle is not equipped with tow package" (but it is). Did the service center forget to upgrade something software/firmware or something?

2nd question - after getting home, and unhooking the trailer, I drove downtown to do some errands, and the car was acting like the regenerative braking was completely turned off - I rarely use my brake, and I had to use it a lot to get the car to slow down! I couldn't find anything to reset it... Is this normal? Will it return to normal?
IMG_8541.jpg
NQ%HYrb+RWWDxkk28z4BLQ.jpg

• Love
Reactions: IdaX
Did Regen get switched to low (there’s a menu setting under Driving I think). Or did you charge up near full?

I’ve towed quite a bit with mine now, Regen works great to keep things in check down grades, it’s never changed the setting. Never seen that error, sure looks like something up in software. The blue trailer icon is a good sign though. Were the lights and trailer brakes all functioning?

Noticed that your battery level in the picture was almost 100 percent. When the battery is at that high charge state, regenerative braking will be less. The excess power can no longer be absorbed by the battery so the car will revert to friction braking.

You know, I'm betting this is the reason. I have noticed that I cannot tap on the carat and then tap on charging - it just reverts to the last screen I was on. (Where you go to look at Energy used, etc.) But two days after I removed the trailer, the car warned me about trip charging all the time, and it let me get to where I could turn it down again, and now the regen braking seems to be working again. Makes total sense. Thank you!

Your regen was limited because your battery charge level was high.

It appears you did not purchase the Tow Package option from Tesla? Did you install your hitch yourself?
Hi all. Took my 2016 MX on a camping trip this past weekend and for the first time towed the trailer. Turned heads, and those campground peeps sure do ask a lot of questions!

My question is two-fold; I kept getting an error message saying I was towing but "vehicle is not equipped with tow package" (but it is). Did the service center forget to upgrade something software/firmware or something?

2nd question - after getting home, and unhooking the trailer, I drove downtown to do some errands, and the car was acting like the regenerative braking was completely turned off - I rarely use my brake, and I had to use it a lot to get the car to slow down! I couldn't find anything to reset it... Is this normal? Will it return to normal?View attachment 397177View attachment 397183

I did purchase it from Tesla. They installed it late last fall. This is my first time using it. Part of me wonders if there is a software update, or a firmware update, that I am missing.

I had the tow package installed on my X last month, I realised the next day that there was no option to enable Trailer mode in the settings, I contacted my local SC and they were able to update it remotely.

Reactions: Arcadian
OT: I see you’re in WA. Which park did you go to? We go camping a lot to the east side of Cascades (sans Tesla) and I’m yet to see an X as a tow vehicle. Would make for good conversation ;)

OT: I see you’re in WA. Which park did you go to? We go camping a lot to the east side of Cascades (sans Tesla) and I’m yet to see an X as a tow vehicle. Would make for good conversation ;)
I’m headed that way in June with my X and camper. We are headed up the coast to Victoria and then down through the Cascades and Sierras into Tahoe and home. Charging opportunities are slim in the north Cascades! I’m having a tough time even getting a solid base camp for Rainier.

I’m headed that way in June with my X and camper. We are headed up the coast to Victoria and then down through the Cascades and Sierras into Tahoe and home. Charging opportunities are slim in the north Cascades! I’m having a tough time even getting a solid base camp for Rainier.
Yeah there is not much in that area but state and county parks with 30-50 amp service which you should look into

Keep in mind that every RV campground is a Charger.

Also recommend camping at Mt Bachelor. Great easy spot for access to the cascade lakes highway and a south sister day hike.

Yeah there is not much in that area but state and county parks with 30-50 amp service which you should look into

Keep in mind that every RV campground is a Charger.

Also recommend camping at Mt Bachelor. Great easy spot for access to the cascade lakes highway and a south sister day hike.
Thanks to both of you. Yes, I'm very aware of charging at RV campgrounds. Good choices just aren't common in the North Cascades. I have done thousands of miles with the X and camper, though, and definitely incorporate hookup sites in my calculations! I still prefer USFS type campgrounds, though, so I'll often just work those in where a Supercharger is reasonably nearby.

Thanks to both of you. Yes, I'm very aware of charging at RV campgrounds. Good choices just aren't common in the North Cascades. I have done thousands of miles with the X and camper, though, and definitely incorporate hookup sites in my calculations! I still prefer USFS type campgrounds, though, so I'll often just work those in where a Supercharger is reasonably nearby.

Ah, you’re adventurous. For us, if the campground doesn’t at least have power/water we don’t go there ;). Sewer is preferable. But again our camper is more of a hotel room ;).