Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality and Drive Experience with inventory Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting for 3 weeks to get my inventory X. If you are purchasing one from outside of your area be prepared to wait. I was originally told it would be no more than 2 weeks but I'm still waiting and its only a few states away (not clear across the country). My discount was around $5,500 for a fully speced X with about 1,000 miles. I assume I'll have the X in another week or so and that will be much quicker than if I had ordered, on top of getting an ok discount. I have not picked up on an unwillingness on Tesla's part to fix inventory vehicles. They don't differentiate between vehicles that were ordered or purchased out of available inventory.

My experience with two inventory Teslas has been nothing but positive. First bought a P85 S that had been "alive" for 12 months and had been driven 11,800 miles. Price was discounted $26k and the vehicle was in Rockville, MD. I am in Raleigh so rather than pay $500 shipping I flew <$125 one way to BWI and picked the car and drive home - way more fun than waiting for a truck to get here. I had only one minor flaw in the pana roof track and it was fixed immediately by the Raleigh SC. No more problems in 6 months of ownership.

Sold the S and bought an inventory X 90D that was in Austin, TX. It was born 2 months before I found it and had <1000 miles and was discounted $2,200. I paid the $750 trucking fee to Raleigh on this one. My estimated 21 day wait turned into about 35 days because the truck route is not direct from Austin to Raleigh. Not sure how many stops the truck made before my X arrived and I took possession on August 1. As many owners have experienced hiccups with the FWD's, so have I. Raleigh Service Center again came thru like champs and had the necessary repair part(s) overnighted and I was stuck in a loaner S 85 for a day and a half :)

If you can find an inventory car that has all your "must have options" then go for it! Of course, YMMV.

Hello, I just wanted to share my experience. I found an inventory model X P90D that was a demonstrator in California, early VIN with about 1000 miles on it. They were offering it for $9,000 off and was the exact one that I was looking for. It took about 2 weeks to get it transported to the Houston South SC and my family and I flew there two Saturdays ago and drive it home to New Orleans.

My experience has been very positive so far, only having issues with a clip on the wheel well trim, and an odd brake "Squeal" sound every time that I stop. Since I do not have any local Tesla Service centers, I have been very nervous about service or build issues. I reached out to Tesla and they connected me with my local service Ranger and he is hopefully visiting me next week to look at my small list of issues.

I would love to have a newer build, where folks claim that parts are being improved upon weekly, but honestly, I hear horror stories on these forums and on YouTube from brand new delivery units, so....

The way that I see it is that the one that I have may have already been through a round of "fixes" in its first few miles that I don't have to deal with.

You should just wait. It seems like you have a lot of doubts on the X, be it quality or new hardware. As you can see even people are happy with inventory cars they still have issues that need fixed. While Tesla will take care of you it does not mean an end to new issues coming up (as an earlier build). I am sure as DougH stated the newer builds quality will be better. Are you sure you want to settle for a lesser build quality now? For 3 years?

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. The wife has given me strict directives to stop talking to her anything about Tesla since i was stirring up the whole which color and which option talk while exploring the inventory options.

Wisdom on this thread has convinced me to continue waiting for delivery of my order, just to get the car with latest build and quality parts. It's good to learn that Tesla is still going out of the way to make sure inventory cars sold to the owners are being fixed with same zeal as with new cars coming out of the factory.