Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality difference between a 2018 and 2021 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to compare my friends 2021 M3P with my 2018 M3LR and if your expecting a night and day difference in build quality your gonna be disappointed. Both cars exhibit minor defects like panels, door handles, and doors being slightly misaligned. Rattles are on par with each other though the double paned glass seems to insulate the cabin a bit better. I would say the 2021s are definitely refined but i'm in no hurry to trade in.

Data Point: 2022 M3LR - No squeaks or rattles.

Before buying I was really worried about it and was prepared to try to do some home-made fixing. Have found not a single issue with noises while driving. A dream for a quiet evening drive with the moon shining through the glass roof.

9-D04-BC58-D1-D1-4-EB3-9-F35-B3-BD07-A1-F378.jpg

I have a 2022 MSM LR Sport wheels with white interior and I actually much prefer the older models in that same color with the brightwork and older wheels. Looks very classy to me…

Reactions: navguy12
My 2019 squeaks and rattles like a 1983 dodge omni at 61k miles. I've got bad roads in my area and the suspension just isn't up to the task, which I'm sure is a contributing factor. I've been hunting down squeaks and trying to treat with foam and Killmat, but I think comfort coilovers may be in my future.

By comparison, my buddy's 2021 model y feels noticeably more composed and quiet. Not sure if that's a 3 vs Y thing, or just generally improved suspension and sound deadening.

My car is black, and I prefer the chrome trim and door handles, otherwise it would look like too much black. Just my $.02

Reactions: navguy12
By comparison, my buddy's 2021 model y feels noticeably more composed and quiet. Not sure if that's a 3 vs Y thing, or just generally improved suspension and sound deadening.
@Heckraiser When I test drove 2021 MYLR then 2021 M3LR + M3P, the Model 3's were significantly smoother and quieter than the Y. So I'm going to say the difference you noted is newer vs older, not 3 vs Y. The Y forums have way more complaining about poor ride quality,

(Based on Y forum browsing I suspect the latest 2022 Model Y's are more refined than that 2021 I drove, which felt and sounded like an old 90's econobox while on the move. I'm sure the 3 still has a fundamental advantage for ride and refinement though.)