Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of Tesla shop rear door PPF ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this piece of PPF durable enough to deter paint damage or are they rather thin?
I would think for $50 they would be on the thick side.
I have already ordered the front mud flaps.

Attachments

• wheel_well_PPF.jpg
    wheel_well_PPF.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 161
The Tesla PPF seems thick, tough enough to protect the paint. The PPF covers most but not all of the area where debris flung from the front wheels impacts the rear doors even after installing the Tesla mud flaps on the front. The PPF will probably prevent 90% of the paint damage but won't protect the black plastic trim along the edge of the rocker panels or the rear wheel wells.

The ones I've been providing in the vendor area cover a wider area and are 8-mil 3M. I was sent a note recently that it was good enough to prevent a large rock from gouging the rear door although the PPF got gouged itself. I'm waiting for them to see if it will self-heal with a hairdryer or heat gun. I'm not sure what the thickness of Tesla's is but if it's the same it will take a beating. It's more about proper coverage.

Reactions: alexcue and Jacko
I have full flaps plus PPF and the front flaps help a lot with the door issue. After a highway jaunt (especially through the winter), I still see marks on the PPF, just not nearly as many. I am assuming the flaps stop the pebbles from going directly to the back doors, but they still may drop to the ground and bounce back up to the same spot at a lower relative speed. I will keep both in place. The rear flaps actually keep the back of the car a lot cleaner if nothing else. It used to be covered in dust within a couple of miles after a wash but now it takes a few miles : )

Reactions: cancoi