Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quarter panel glass wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone describe how to adjust the seals on the quarter panel driver’s side glass? There is a constant wind noise that the SC “cannot duplicate”. I can silence the noise by stuffing a piece of tissue or napkin between the glass and trim but that falls out after a few days.

I had (have) the same issue. First time I brought it to the service center they said they could not duplicate, then it was normal, then finally admitted the quarter panel wasn't aligned. In trying to "fix" that, they bent the door: the door doesn't properly close now and wind noise is worse.

Electrified Garage just did a youtube on common problems with the MX one of which was wind noise. Just after 6:30 the mechanic starts talking about how we often think the wind is coming from the window when in actuality it is coming from the A pillar. He has a novel solution with packaging foam:
Electrified Garage Shows Us Common Issues A Tesla Model X Might Have

I know you have S, but it might have similar setup. Good Luck

had this same issue. The mobile service tech. was able to fix it and so much quieter now. You can simply demonstrate this by taking the service tech on a drive at about 60MPH and put pressure on the small window with your finger pushing it outwards so it makes contact with the seal. The air noise will go away.

• Informative
Reactions: tranzndance
Electrified Garage just did a youtube on common problems with the MX one of which was wind noise. Just after 6:30 the mechanic starts talking about how we often think the wind is coming from the window when in actuality it is coming from the A pillar. He has a novel solution with packaging foam:
Electrified Garage Shows Us Common Issues A Tesla Model X Might Have

I know you have S, but it might have similar setup. Good Luck

thanks for the link, it was interesting. However the noise is definitely coming from the quarter panel glass since I can stuff a piece of tissue into it and that will fix it.

had this same issue. The mobile service tech. was able to fix it and so much quieter now. You can simply demonstrate this by taking the service tech on a drive at about 60MPH and put pressure on the small window with your finger pushing it outwards so it makes contact with the seal. The air noise will go away.

I demonstrated this by stuffing a piece of tissue into the area. It’s definitely worse on windy days. When I last took it in to the SC, it was a calm day. They suggested I bring it back in on a windy day.

I don’t know if this is of any good but try to adjust that door sealing (the one that circles the doorway) in a way that it has better contact with the glass. I believe it was better in the beginning, in early days. I just had to change that sealing (because of another problem) and the whole door is now more pushed out after the change. So this new rubber pushes the door more outward and gives better sealing.

Reactions: rsg123
I saw a Model S side mirror being replaced, and the small triangular fixed window has to be removed to do it (it attached to that sub-assembly). When you re-install it, there is some "slop" in the three bolts that hold it on. So I think you could move the small window up or down or rotate it a little if you wanted to try some new positions to see if they seal better.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: rsg123 and aerodyne
My passenger side window has the same problem. When you look straight down on the window and the small triangular quarter window they are headed in different directions. The top of the quarter window is out more than the window itself .

I had my passenger mirror replaced and watched the mobile tech do it. I believe you can adjust the angle of the Mirror post / quarter window with the bottom mounting screw access from underneath with the door panel removed.