Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quartzsite Temporary Superchargers - President Day Weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
After doing a couple of searches, I guess this is not too uncommon lately, but it’s the first time I’ve seen the temporary supercharging stations set up for a holiday weekend. I found it interesting that one pallet had three urban super Chargers on it while the other had two of the old original superchargers. I wonder if the old style temporaries charge at a higher rate than the new urban variety. Anyway, it’s good to see Tesla being proactive for busy charging weekends.

C886BD6D-8402-4FC8-B69E-B8FEB56A6DEB.jpeg

Last edited:
I was there yesterday, yes the added stalls show on the main screen. We watched the fill level as we traveled back to AZ from CA- it averaged about 7 or 8 cars the whole time we were traveling from Indio to Quartzsite. Word of caution - the temp chargers are limited to 50KW. So they aren't quite as fast as the regular chargers. But they work. Also a temp charger in Indio- that was also a crowded place yesterday.

Reactions: SSonnentag
yep, I checked while charging there and the screen reported 2/12 stalls available. There are only 8 permanent stalls in Quartzsite. So I guess the third urban stall was not connected.
Correct. The third pedestal cannot be connected. The third one is there to accommodate a different physical installation where you would want the two back to back units active instead of the two diagonally opposed ones.

An update on the Quartzsite temporary chargers:

They're still in place. Last night I only needed an additional 10% in order to get home, so I decided to give the temporaries a try. I plugged into one of the old-style chargers, the same one that the red Model 3 is plugged into in the photo above. My car had 30% state of charge and the battery was toasty warm, having just driven over 100 miles at a high rate of speed. The temporary charger topped out at a measly 29 kW charge rate. While it is certainly better than nothing, you're much better off to share a charger with someone in one of the permanent stalls as your charge rate will start out at around 30 kW and will only go up from there once the paired car leaves.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
This site is due for an update. The temporary stalls sure help a little, but ultimately this site needs a lot more stalls and power. Trying to skip this station takes a lot of extra time at the previous stations and with many cars it's not really possible (unless you drive painfully slow). Everyone traveling between Los Angeles and Phoenix has to stop and charge here.

After doing a couple of searches, I guess this is not too uncommon lately, but it’s the first time I’ve seen the temporary supercharging stations set up for a holiday weekend. I found it interesting that one pallet had three urban super Chargers on it while the other had two of the old original superchargers. I wonder if the old style temporaries charge at a higher rate than the new urban variety. Anyway, it’s good to see Tesla being proactive for busy charging weekends.

View attachment 378712

Update: The old-style temporary chargers top out at around 29kW. The urban temporary chargers put out around 50kW. So if you have a choice, the urbans are quite a bit faster at charging than the old-style ones.

I have seen those old style temporary pedestals many years ago at Hawthorne and other locations and they were providing 120 kW. Must be limitations at this site.