Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The circuit breaker determines the maximum amount the circuit can handle (40A continuous for a 50A breaker) while the Mobile Connector will set the amperage according to the NEMA adapter connected to it. The highest Mobile Connector NEMA adapter rating is 50A - it won’t be higher than your breaker rating so you’re fine as is. Out of curiosity, what adapter are you using with your Mobile Connector?

The breaker determines the maximum amount the circuit can handle (40A continuous for a 50A breaker) while the Mobile Connector will set the amperage according to the NEMA adapter connected to it. The highest Mobile Connector NEMA adapter rating is 50A - it won’t be higher than your breaker rating so you’re fine as is. Out of curiosity, what adapter are you using with your Mobile Connector?
The nema 14/50 and it won’t go higher than 32 amps

The nema 14/50 and it won’t go higher than 32 amps
I believe this is because some 14-50 outlets are on 40a breakers, and continuous current needs to be 20% less. You’re fine leaving it on the 50a breaker though. I think that addresses your original question.
Older mobile connectors could charge at up to 40 Amps on a 50 Amp outlet. Since mid-December 2017, the "newer" mobile connector can only charge at a maximum of 32 Amps on a 50 Amp outlet.

I am charging with the mobile connector on a nema outlet. Should I lower the amp from 32? Is there any benefit?
I'll just run through the parts involved and mention whether it matters or not.

Breaker--doesn't matter.
Wire--shouldn't matter if it's sized right for the circuit.
Car battery--really doesn't matter. It can take much higher levels of power.

Charging cable--Yeah, this is the one where it might be helpful to lower it some. It is built and rated for 32A maximum, but it gets kind of warm running at maximum level like that, and daily heat cycling of warming up and cooling down does some expanding and contracting of metals and solder joints, so over time, it can just wear out materials faster and may cause your charging cable to have a shorter life. If it's not going to matter if your car takes 5 hours instead of 4 hours to charge while you are sleeping, then I might turn the amps down some into the mid 20's so the heat cycles aren't as big, and it may help it to last a few years longer.

Go ahead and use it at 32A if there's a situation where it's helpful, but for every single day, I would personally keep it a bit less.

I'll just run through the parts involved and mention whether it matters or not.

Breaker--doesn't matter.
Wire--shouldn't matter if it's sized right for the circuit.
Car battery--really doesn't matter. It can take much higher levels of power.

Charging cable--Yeah, this is the one where it might be helpful to lower it some. It is built and rated for 32A maximum, but it gets kind of warm running at maximum level like that, and daily heat cycling of warming up and cooling down does some expanding and contracting of metals and solder joints, so over time, it can just wear out materials faster and may cause your charging cable to have a shorter life. If it's not going to matter if your car takes 5 hours instead of 4 hours to charge while you are sleeping, then I might turn the amps down some into the mid 20's so the heat cycles aren't as big, and it may help it to last a few years longer.

Go ahead and use it at 32A if there's a situation where it's helpful, but for every single day, I would personally keep it a bit less.
How much less, I’ve do usually plug in my car every day.