Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 amp circuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to add a 50 amp circuit for my mobile charger. Tesla says that a 14-50 plug charges at 32 amp but the connecting plug says 30 amp rating. Is this safe?

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 96
My cable overheats and drops to 16 Amps if my Tesla is set at 32 Amps during summertime when the temperature exceeds 85F or so. Just set your Tesla to charge at 22 to 28 Amps and it will work fine. I drive 130 miles daily, connect my 32 Amp-rated Tesla cable into an outlet fed by a 240 Volt, 50 Amp breaker on a separate electric meter and charge at 22 Amps for about 7 to 8 hours overnight (off-peak charging costs about 1/2 price). You really don't need 32 Amps to charge unless you are in a hurry. If you are really in a hurry, use a supercharger. If you really want to save money, charge at home at 22 to 28 Amps, at 240 Volts.
You should be able to charge at 32 amps in 100 degree direct sunlight for hours on end. As stated by another member, there is something wrong with your car, or wiring, or cable.

Also, charging at less than 32 amps does not save money. 32 amps isn't even all that fast. No reason to derate, I would get your charging setup checked out - the wiring in the receptacle might be loose, loose connection at the plug, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOVA
Upvote 0
Something is wrong with your outlet or cable. I would have it checked out.
You should be able to charge at 32 amps in 100 degree direct sunlight for hours on end. As stated by another member, there is something wrong with your car, or wiring, or cable.
Well, yeah, the thing that seems to be wrong with the cables is how badly Tesla designed/built them. Or I might phrase it another way--that they have the temperature sensor setting pretty sensitive. I've been seeing a lot of reports of people having this exact problem where if it sits out with direct sunlight beating down on it, that heats it enough to trip that temperature sensor.

My cable overheats and drops to 16 Amps if my Tesla is set at 32 Amps during summertime when the temperature exceeds 85F or so.
But it definitely shouldn't be that bad if it's 85 degrees and not in direct sun.

Upvote 0