Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question About Autopark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used it 100's of times. It works really well once you learn how to use it, and when it'll work. I've never had any problems, or close calls or anything. Once or twice I've had to center the car in the spot a little better.

I have used it just once; a couple of weeks ago when I was at my brother's house. Parallel parked but the car was a little further away from the curb than I would have liked. I've also seen the P symbol pop up on the screen while stopped at a light with traffic in the left turn lane next to me. Absolutely no chance of putting my car between those cars but still, there was the P.

I’ve used it but the rear tire hit the curb, needs work. There’s another kind of Auto park. If you have your car in hold and try to exit the car it will auto park to prevent roll away.

I’ve used auto park many times. The hard part is getting it started... sometimes it just doesn’t recognize the space. Pulling up a little further past the car in front usually does the trick. Once it starts, it does a perfect job every time… At least in my experience. No hitting the curb, no hitting other cars. Just the right amount of space. Like magic and like I expect a Tesla to do.

I've used it a number of times. As 100 H2O says, the trick is to pull slightly past the space so that the rear sensors see the space. Has worked great for me, although I did bail on it a few days ago when I thought it was a little too close to a brand new Bentley for my budget. It is particularly nice when you want to parallel park and there are cars behind you. Relieves any anxiety about holding people up.

I've used it a few times, but there have been times I've been looking for it and cannot get the icon to show up. When it works - it works great. Obviously it does things like - aligns between the cars in front and in the back when in fact there are boxes on the road surface so it ends up a bit out of the box (cause for example one of the other cars parked a bit off). But still great when it works.

So the best way to get it work - you have to pass a parking space between 2 cars or car and some other obstacle (either on your left or right side) - about a foot out. You need to slow down once you're next to the car in front - and then there is a good chance the P icon will show up. I'm still unclear whether the icon shows up before you put in reverse or after. But definitely sometimes it just doesn't show up.

Also - I'm wondering. This is for parallel parking. Does it auto-park in other parking spots?

I usually do perpedicular parking into my carport; but have done parallel parking as well. Works fine, don't need to shift like my Chevy Volt required. I think you have to go less than 5mph past a space. You have to be near it, and go completely past.

Has anyone successfully used the autopark feature? I have done everything as explained in the owner's manual, but I can't get the car to show me the icon indicating that it can autopark. Any help would be appreciated.
Have used both parallel and perpendicular parking and both worked fine, though as others have noted, it's on the slow side. Had one instance where it couldn't perpendicular park when my wife was trying out the feature for the first time. That may have been a quirk of the conditions as the vehicle past the slot was a big van, not pulled fully in to its space. That may have caused some echo or other problem with some sensors. My wife just pulled past another pair of cars bracketing a space and it parked just fine.

The key to get it to show the P consistently is to hug the side you want to park on closer than you normally would. If you drive in the center of the lane like most of us do in a parking lot, the ultrasonic sensors are too far away to detect the other cars. Then, as others said, drive slowly past the space and just when you think it’s gone too far and isn’t going to work, the P appears.

Has anyone successfully used the autopark feature? I have done everything as explained in the owner's manual, but I can't get the car to show me the icon indicating that it can autopark. Any help would be appreciated.

It will only offer the P for a parking space between two other cars. If there's an open spot with an empty spot next to ti, you will not be offere the P.

If you're looking at a parallel parking spot and there's no curb, it will not offer to park.

(It needs the other cars & the curb to use the ultrasonic sensors while parking.)

If you never see the P, try driving a little farther past the parking spot. You often need to drive (slowly) forward a little further than you might choose if you were going to back into the space yourself.

Good luck!