Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about jacking up Y and changing rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen several posts that talk about needing some pads/spacers under the jacks when you lift the car. Do most tire places have these? Any issues moving the TPMS to new rims? Can anyone expound on this? Thank you!

I asked at my local Discount Tire...they didn't know what I was talking about but they do work on a fair amount of Teslas. I told them I would supply the lifting pads...

PLEASE do not use discount tire! They use a wire brush on a air powered drill to brush the area between the wheel studs. This removes the rust protection from the brake hub and will cause rust. I have spent years arguing with them to NOT do it and they refuse to not do it. I brought brand new cars to them to swap wheels/tires and they want to grind it for NO reason. I no longer deal with them.
If you want nice looking brake hubs for many years, don't use discount tire.

Very low probability anyone has 4 hockey pucks. They are also very likely to slip off. They need that post in the middle to hold it in place.
I have 15-20 pucks in my garage. All you need to do is screw in a small dowel or similar in center of puck to help locate the puck to the hole. No need to have it stay inserted, can guide with jack. Not rocket science...

Reactions: davedavedave
I have 15-20 pucks in my garage. All you need to do is screw in a small dowel or similar in center of puck to help locate the puck to the hole. No need to have it stay inserted, can guide with jack. Not rocket science...
I'm am sure that you have them because you were the first one to mention hockey pucks. But most other ppl don't have them. Why have to maneuver the ENTIRE jack with one hand, while holding a homemade jack puck with the other hand, when you can pay $15 for a set of 4 that will hold themselves in there. Or even worse if a shop is doing it because they raise all 4 at the same time and who will be holding all 4 pucks while the lift arms are going up? Now 4 hockey pucks are ruined, plus time, instead of just buying purpose built. The amazon pads are so cheap, why mess with pucks?

9A541257-05DB-4085-924A-71F7381CCB87.jpeg

Hmmm. I had a tire with a nail in it from the moment I drove off the lot (suspected, not proven). Since it took me a couple of weeks to notice the slow drop in pressure and I live 2.5 hours from the Tesla dealership, I took it to a local tire shop. They asked me about the pucks and I’d never heard of them. But then they looked under the car and said that they were surprised to see welded-on lift points. I assumed, based on their previous experience with Tesla’s, and observation of a difference with the first MY they encountered, that the puck requirement may not apply to the MY.

But then they looked under the car and said that they were surprised to see welded-on lift points. I assumed, based on their previous experience with Tesla’s, and observation of a difference with the first MY they encountered, that the puck requirement may not apply to the MY.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? I see lots of people in the Y areas of the community talking about buying the pucks....

Look at the video. The Y is made the same, for puck insertion. You don't NEED to use them, but I'd recommend it. The only time that MAY not be needed if a shop has a lift with a flat lifting pad. I personally just bought them for like $20 on Amazon and put them in the shallow trunk with the charging bag.

Reactions: Kelr316
Look at the video. The Y is made the same, for puck insertion. You don't NEED to use them, but I'd recommend it. The only time that MAY not be needed if a shop has a lift with a flat lifting pad. I personally just bought them for like $20 on Amazon and put them in the shallow trunk with the charging bag.
I did the same but haven’t had the need to use the pucks yet. Earlier this summer I wrote in another thread about spare tires vs compressor & tire plug kits that I had a nail in one of my new MY’s rear tires. The mechanic had me roll the car to the spot where he could see the nail and did the repair (external plug) while kneeling behind the tire. So no need for a lift or pucks. But I called a couple of big tire chains before I found that local mechanic. As soon as I mentioned Tesla and pucks they both said they preferred not to work on my car for fear they would still ruin my battery with their lift. I appreciated their honesty and have written them off as places I will never take my MY (Sullivan Tire in the greater Boston area was one of them).

I guess I will go ahead and buy pucks to be safe, but if they’re recommended to change a tire, why would they not be standard equipment? Very odd.

I’ve owned my Y for 2 months and already had 2 flat tires. I live in rural SC, 2.5 hours from the nearest Tesla service center in Charlotte, NC. Local tire shops need a week to get the replacement! Now I own my own extra tire and just keep it in my garage!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I guess I will go ahead and buy pucks to be safe, but if they’re recommended to change a tire, why would they not be standard equipment? Very odd.

I’ve owned my Y for 2 months and already had 2 flat tires. I live in rural SC, 2.5 hours from the nearest Tesla service center in Charlotte, NC. Local tire shops need a week to get the replacement! Now I own my own extra tire and just keep it in my garage!
I don’t carry a spare. So in addition to the pucks I travel with a bottle of Slime, a tire plug repair kit, a compressor and a Platinum AAA Motor Club Card with a 50 miles of free towing .