Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about ordering MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I have a Question with the recent price drop for Tesla the MYLR base price is $56490 ( 5 seater)if I add enhanced auto pilot for $6000 would it qualify for $7500 tax rebate? I don’t want to order 7 seater is it ok to order without the ultrasonic sensors and radar? As I heard the current Model Y in 2023 doesnt come with Radar/LIDAR and ultrasonic sensors?
Say for example I took delivery of MYLR now , and Tesla adds the radar and ultrasonic sensors in about 6 months or year from now would it be possible to get them added at that point? Thanks...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 10.53.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 10.53.33 AM.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
According to the IRS wording MSRP applies to anything attached to the car. Maybe a gray area for software, I don’t know. Current price for MYLR is $53,490. You could take delivery without EAP, then add it as an upgrade through the app afterward. Same price $6k to do that.

After speaking with a Tesla SA, adding EAP or FSD while ordering your vehicle does not change your tax credit eligibility. As long as you are under the 55K MSRP before adding any autopilot you will qualify. I added EAP with my MYLR and still got the tax credit.

According to the IRS wording MSRP applies to anything attached to the car. Maybe a gray area for software, I don’t know. Current price for MYLR is $53,490. You could take delivery without EAP, then add it as an upgrade through the app afterward. Same price $6k to do that.
Even without the EAP the price is coming to $56,130 so since its over the 55K limit will it qualify for $7500 tax rebate?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 10.53.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 10.53.33 AM.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 51
Even without the EAP the price is coming to $56,130 so since its over the 55K limit will it qualify for $7500 tax rebate?
As has been mentioned in previous threads: Do you have a $7500 tax liability? This is NOT a $7500 rebate: it is a $7500 CREDIT against Federal Taxes you may owe. If your liability is only $6000 that is all the credit you will receive.

As has been mentioned in previous threads: Do you have a $7500 tax liability? This is NOT a $7500 rebate: it is a $7500 CREDIT against Federal Taxes you may owe. If your liability is only $6000 that is all the credit you will receive.
I see this mentioned a lot w/o any context so I'll throw a number out to give others a better idea: Roughly (not a tax professional so this isn't tax advice) $43k is the annual income for a single person filing single w/o any dependents to have a $7,500 tax liability.

Back to the OP's question: Elon/Tesla's official stance is that software features/options don't affect MSRP. Personally, I don't see it that way as it's quite literally a feature of the vehicle that increases the price that will also provide higher value when it comes to resale/trade-in. I have no plans to get involved in some bitter battle between Elon and the .gov so I'll just order my Model Y under $55k and then add any additional features after I take delivery. I don't like to try to think outside of the box when it comes to the IRS and tax code.

Unlike other manufacturers Tesla allows this, encourages it and even makes it dead simple through the app. They day I take delivery I'll just order my EAP/FSD or acceleration boost via the app after I accept delivery. Easy as that. (note: this is not as simple if you plan to finance and want to wrap this sort of thing into the loan)

• Informative
Reactions: ABQP3D and Ciaopec
Model Ys no longer come with USS or radar. My car has no radar and autopilot works just fine. I use it for about 80% of my driving here in rural New Mexico. My car has USS but they don't seem to be very useful. YMMVG. Some people who use them, for example, for parking in their garage find them useful/essential.

On the order page Tesla says software is excluded from the federal tax credit price cap:

fsd-excluded.png

After speaking with a Tesla SA, adding EAP or FSD while ordering your vehicle does not change your tax credit eligibility. As long as you are under the 55K MSRP before adding any autopilot you will qualify. I added EAP with my MYLR and still got the tax credit.
You won’t actually get the tax credit until you file your tax return for 2023, if you bought the car this year.

For whatever it's worth, I took delivery a week ago (MYLR), under $55K for MSRP. added EAP via app in evening, was ready to go in morning. Tried it a few times on freeway (navigate on autopilot), found it exactly as advertised, but rather slow and clunky. I did not think it was "worth" $6K. Luckily there is a 48 hour refund period. I returned it within that period! Had I purchased with car, I would not be able to "return" it.

Yes, św does not count towards the tax credit, but I just wanted to be sure since the IRS a year from now will be making the decisions!

I strongly suggest all you on the fence about EAP and undersatnind tax credit find $6K on a credit card or something and try it post purchase!

Reactions: BitJam and EVChris
As I heard the current Model Y in 2023 doesnt come with Radar/LIDAR and ultrasonic sensors?
Say for example I took delivery of MYLR now , and Tesla adds the radar and ultrasonic sensors in about 6 months or year from now would it be possible to get them added at that point? Thanks...
You will not be able to add radar or USS later. But on the other hand, I have seen people that have been waiting for HW4 since 2020. I doubt anyone is paying for enhanced auto pilot right now until the functionality is restored. I will believe that when I see it.