Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does your phone have to have the Tesla app active?

When I walk up to the car with the phone in my pocket it does not unlock. I have to get the phone out and stand there waiting for the app to wake up and the car to wake up and then try to see the damn screen in the sunlight in order to unlock it.

I forget the card key and leave it in the car many times so I have to go through the phone. And it feels ridiculous standing there fiddling with thing for a minute or two to get into my own car.

I have two Teslas (an X & a 3). When the app is on my X profile it won't work as a key on the 3. But as long as it was on the 3 when I last used the app I don't ever need to pull out my phone to get it to work. Haven't had it happen once in the 3 months+ of owning the car.

It does not have to be the active app. I don't think that it has to be running, but it has to have been started since the phone rebooted.
A lot of folks have issues with the car not being able to hear the car, because the phone is in the back pocket. I know if I walk up, many times I just have to turn around and then the car will unlock