Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about pick up.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have my scheduled delivery of the 22nd. And was curious about something.

Is it’s just a walk through before accepting it or do you get to test drive it first to make sure it drives fine before accepting. I know it’ll be brand new but to me some smaller paint imperfections is less a reason for me to deny the car, but if the car rides weird that would be a reason. I know they can fix stuff but I think mechanical would take longer then paint. Hence more valid reason to reject it.

And unlikely as there will be anything wrong with it, but was wondering if that’s a part of the process or not...

You will have all the time you want to sit inside and inspect whatever you want but they won’t let you drive it off the lot until the paperwork is done and your plates are put on the car

the car has full warranty and there is a 7 day return window

If it's anything like here, you can't drive it because it's not insured. They don't have "dealer plates" probably because they're not a dealer in the traditional sense. If it's especially like here, you usually don't even get to see the car before you fork over the money and get plates. That said, I know BC deliveries are an outlier in that respect -- you should be able to see the car prior to actual purchase, and at that time can refuse delivery and hope a better match comes along.

You do have a small window (less than 200 miles IIRC) in which you can point out delivery defects for them to resolve. Unfortunately at this point, the car is indeed yours to wait on while it gets fixed.

Welcome to the Tesla purchasing experience! The ownership experience usually goes better.

If you want to drive a car, signup for a test drive in advance.

That wouldn’t help,
It’s not that I want to see how a model 3 car drives.
It’s a how does that specific one that I am about to buy drive. like I said I doubt it will have issues. But you would think, that would be one of the approval steps.
But no big deal. Not a deal breaker.

Most dealerships are the same way for factory ordered cars. You can test drive a simiilar car, but they usually do not let you drive your brand new car until the paperwork is done.

Too many stories of people smashing up cars during test drives.

interesting. I Didn’t know that. It’s the first I’ve ordered like this. Usually drive the new cars before deciding..
well that’ll be a new experience.

interesting. I Didn’t know that. It’s the first I’ve ordered like this. Usually drive the new cars before deciding..
well that’ll be a new experience.
For what it's worth, their wording may have been important. I'm not sure how many manufacturers you can order "direct from the factory" outside of Tesla. I've been able to test drive every car prior to purchase except Tesla, and this has been the case for friends/coworkers as well. They're definitely not keen on you taking it on a bit of a road trip, but a few miles down the road is generally acceptable.

For what it's worth, their wording may have been important. I'm not sure how many manufacturers you can order "direct from the factory" outside of Tesla. I've been able to test drive every car prior to purchase except Tesla, and this has been the case for friends/coworkers as well. They're definitely not keen on you taking it on a bit of a road trip, but a few miles down the road is generally acceptable.

I have ordered new BMWs "from the factory" both from Germany (3 and 4 series) and US (X5, X3) and you dont test drive YOUR new factory ordered car either. If you are buying a car off the lot you can drive before hand but if you order one, you dont drive it before you buy it. You can inspect it, but dont drive it.. same as tesla does.

• Informative
Reactions: JasonR67