Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model y long range 2021. It’s about a little over a year old with less thank 19k miles. Last night I charged it to 100% for the first time in a really long time just to see how much range I have. When I saw it, it was 300 on max. Is that normal to be so low for just over a year on that many miles?

Normal. 10% lower battery capacity after the first year is not unusual. Capacity/range loss tapers off after the first year.

If your usual charging routine is to charge daily when the battery is +/- a specific value, i.e. 70% then you might be able to get the Tesla Model Y's battery management system (BMS) to re-calibrate and gain ~5% back (you never lost this range, the BMS just did not have enough data to determine the capacity of the battery when measured over a wide range of state of charge.) You would need to charge to 95% - 100% and then drive until the battery SOC was below 20%; repeat several times. Any potential range gain from the calibration is only a number and does not stick around.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloth
I have a model y long range 2021. It’s about a little over a year old with less thank 19k miles. Last night I charged it to 100% for the first time in a really long time just to see how much range I have. When I saw it, it was 300 on max. Is that normal to be so low for just over a year on that many miles?

The 250+ page (250+ pages of posts, not 250 posts) thread I have in the model 3 subforum, discussing this same basic topic, says "yes, this is normal, and yes, everyone sees the same thing". The model 3 and Y have the same battery so its relevant.

Just completed a long range trip from CO to OK. 500 miles each way, was quite disappointed in the range. Did the trip on ABRP first to get an expectation. 2021 LYMY with 7500 miles and it performed horribly. Don’t know if the biggest factor was. The speed (interstate driving at 80), the cold (17-51 degrees), or the god awful Kansas wind? I think the speed was the worst factor? I’ve done around 800-mile trips on highways traveling 65-70 mph with much better results. It was brutal, had to stop every 150-miles no joke.

Just completed a long range trip from CO to OK. 500 miles each way, was quite disappointed in the range. Did the trip on ABRP first to get an expectation. 2021 LYMY with 7500 miles and it performed horribly. Don’t know if the biggest factor was. The speed (interstate driving at 80), the cold (17-51 degrees), or the god awful Kansas wind? I think the speed was the worst factor? I’ve done around 800-mile trips on highways traveling 65-70 mph with much better results. It was brutal, had to stop every 150-miles no joke.
80 mph will KILL your range. Wind will KILL your range.

I enjoy driving 75-80mph, no range anxiety at all, just use the strategically placed Superchargers. Nice break every 140-180 miles.