Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!

I wanted to see the plug end but I'm guessing you just wired in a male 14/50 plug on it. Correct?

That's what I did:

20141121_175453_resized (1).jpg

May I ask what your reasoning is for having 2 UMCs?
Before I bought my car I was considering the same (not wanting to be left stranded anywhere), but after 21 months and 50k miles and a few road trips, I've never found a need to use the UMC outside of my garage.

My reasoning for having 2 UMCs is that I like charging whenever possible. I have installed 240 outlets at my work, friends, and family destinations. This allows me to keep the depth of charge on the battery as shallow as possible. It would be really annoying to have to unplug and roll-up the UMC every time I left the garage. Also reduces the unplug/replug cycles on the UMC. When I go on road trips I take both UMCs with me JIC. For work I even installed a EVSE just so can have the convenience of not having to get out my UMC every week day. The shallow depth of charge strategy does seem to be working out well for me.

Here is the setup at my local Tesla Service Center... they have an ON/OFF switch inline with the HPWC.
I think I would do this even if I had a 14/50 plug.
They have a switch because it is required under the NEC. Charging stations with >60A rating or >150V line-to-ground require a lockable disconnect:

"625.23 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position."

So that switch needs to be there if the HPWC can supply >60A. "240V charging" doesn't trip the >150V clause, since it's 150V hot to ground, not hot to hot.

With a 14-50, the plug can count as a (non-required) disconnect. If you wanted to cut power from another location, you could install a switch there (ie, a switch by the door from the house, with the outlet at the other side of the garage).

Here is the setup at my local Tesla Service Center... they have an ON/OFF switch inline with the HPWC.
I think I would do this even if I had a 14/50 plug.

That's probably because the breaker panel is not within eyeshot of that location. Otherwise, the circuit breaker can count as the service disconnect so long as it's visible, near, and accessible. YMMV depending on your local inspector.

Is a disconnect switch needed or can you just leave the UMC plugged in with current running through it all the time? I have read that these outlets aren't really designed for continuous plugging/unplugging and I don't think my wife could actually unplug the cord anyway. She has real small hands.

I don't have dual chargers so I am not interested in the HPWC. Plus the install is twice as much and the charger is $100 more expensive. Finally, I like the idea of having a backup UMC just in case something malfunctions.

I agree with your strategy. I wouldn't install a 14-50 disconnect.

I keep (1) UMC permanently docked on a 14-30 (40,000 miles/23 mos.), (1) 50' "stretched" UMC in the car, and (1) bulky/cumbersome HPWC (completly unnecessary IMHO for nightly charging) for Plugshare guests.

Here's my question....I have 50amp wore pulled to a 14-50 nema plug. Can I haev 100amp wire pulled to my nema plug then hook up my HPWC to that nema plug?

Not sure I understand......you *can* run #3 THHN to your existing 14-50 receptacle, however, you can NOT "pull" more than 40A continuous through that 50A rated 14-50 device.

Watch ebay for a good deal on a HPWC. I found one for 500$ from Canada, I have heard that they are giving them away close to free to a lot of people in Canada. Then you replace your 14-50 with a HPWC. You cannot "legally" hook up multiple 240v devices to one breaker. A small amount of resistance in that current range is begging for a fire. I was considering "jumping" the 240v from the HPWC to an additional 14-50. But how dumb would you feel after a fire. I finally just ran another 14-50 to my garage. Right now my HPWC is dip switch set to 50 amps. No need to run another wire if you don't have dual chargers in your car. The HPWC is MUCH safer as far as connections go - earlier generation Mobile Chargers have had issues. Once again - what's it worth to sleep easy?

Also the HPWC looks INCREDIBLY better and also comes with a "supercharger" hook for the connector to hang on when not in use.

AJ