Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for battery scientists

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of you have very specific charging habits. Some seem to live and die by the exact percent that you charge the car to. 70/80/90 seems to have a lot of debate. I tend to charge to 90.
That being said, based on the magical 310 number, 90% is 279(that is what it sometimes goes to).
At times when I charge to 90% it only goes to 269.

Am I still at (90%) if I move the slider up a hare to get to 279? At that point the car obviously reads 93/94.

For those who demand to have it charged to the exact percent, what do you do?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your vehicle's BMS calculates the available range based on the battery capacity it thinks the vehicle has and using the constant set by Tesla depending on your vehicle trim. So if you move the slider to get more rated miles, like you said you are charging it to a bigger percentage. So I don't care about that mile value and just charge to 90% and if I need to check how many miles I have remaining, I check from the energy graph which is a much more accurate estimate since it is based on your consumption for that trip.

Many might say that because they are right.

Nothing with science. Just a slider you choose which you prefer to see.

If you set it to 90%. That is the 90% of what is available. If have it to the tab that 90% is at, but select miles. Available. Just showing miles.

Go beyond because you expect a certain miles available. Then you could be charging more than 90%

Many of you have very specific charging habits. Some seem to live and die by the exact percent that you charge the car to. 70/80/90 seems to have a lot of debate. I tend to charge to 90.
That being said, based on the magical 310 number, 90% is 279(that is what it sometimes goes to).
At times when I charge to 90% it only goes to 269.

Am I still at (90%) if I move the slider up a hare to get to 279? At that point the car obviously reads 93/94.

For those who demand to have it charged to the exact percent, what do you do?

Those people usually have some third party tool or other that they use to set charging to a specific percentage.

I have a friend who slid above 90% to 279 miles because he thought 90% was the healthiest battery state and he assumed 279 was 90%. Of course, I educated him on 90% not being the healthies state.

Anyway, after a few weeks, the car warned him about charging past 90% too often so to answer op's question, do not go-past 90% unless you need 279+ miles that day.

I have a friend who slid above 90% to 279 miles because he thought 90% was the healthiest battery state and he assumed 279 was 90%. Of course, I educated him on 90% not being the healthies state.

Anyway, after a few weeks, the car warned him about charging past 90% too often so to answer op's question, do not go-past 90% unless you need 279+ miles that day.

True, but above 85% will keep your battery balanced the best.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
sorry, and my post may garner massive disagreements from tesla fans, but i solely rely on SC and dont (at the moment - working on it) have the option to charge at home (or office). lately ive been charging to 100 percent because by the time i get home from the preferred urban SC station i go to, im down to about 95 -92% (depending on how 'spirited' I am driving :p ) . i do this because i want my time betwixt charges to last. with this method , im able to charge once every 8 days or so.

if you have home charging, there should be no reason for one to charge to 100 or even 90 daily, so i can see why the car would give the nag screen to not charge above 90 , but for me, im still working and have not stopped so the pack gets used daily.

meaning, i would not charge to 100 and let the car sit for days because i agree that is not healthy for these types of batteries.

im an edge case so i feel comfy charging to 90-100 based on my daily usage.

Reactions: toolman335
Lithium Ion batteries are happiest at 50% no matter what Elon says. But I doubt charging to 70% - 80% will cause noticeable degradation. I have changed my habit of doing 90% because honestly I really don't need much for my normal driving. But I do go up to 100% for trips, only if I'm driving it right after the charge finishes. But honestly, if you're not going to keep your car for 10 years I wouldn't worry about it, just don't charge to 100% daily.

I use Stats to set my SOC level to 61%, since October. That seems to leave my battery at 60%. I noticed a small imbalance recently, when I checked the Tesla app, it only showed max charge to 99%. So, I set it to 90% SOC, and one day later, it showed it could charge to 100%, so back to 61%.

Today, 90F outside, driving around doing errands, Stats showed rated range varied between 313 to 308 miles.