Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for California owners: license plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI for those who say they're missing tags, you can purchase new tags at AAA if you're a member. They handle most DMV requests (except for license renewals) and is FAR easier than trying to get in touch with the DMV, especially now with Covid. As soon as my plates arrive, I'm going straight over to AAA to apply for Legacy plates. Already have the DMV form filled out. Picked up my PUP on June 25 and still waiting for plates/registration.

Took delivery of 2016 MS from Tesla 5/22. Nothing from DMV yet. Must be in DMV system because SMUD "found" my car and let me add it to my account for reduced charging rate between midnight and 5am. Car must be registered to your address to get the discount.

Just got a call from Tesla Sat 8/1. Registration got rejected by DMV because they didn't get one form completed correctly. Had to take car to them today so they could do form. Something about car coming in from our of state (Nevada), but I already knew that (Carfax).

Delivered 6/25 Costa Mesa (Irvine overflow). Title arrived over a week ago.

Plates arrived today, 3 August. Quick trip to Auto Club to exchange those for my personalized plates formerly on the MS, and rebate app completed to So Cal Edison for $1,000 rebate.

But it was completely weird to see the title arrive prior to the plates and registration (and the title showing the serialized plates I just got today).

Delivered 6/25 Costa Mesa (Irvine overflow). Title arrived over a week ago.

Plates arrived today, 3 August. Quick trip to Auto Club to exchange those for my personalized plates formerly on the MS, and rebate app completed to So Cal Edison for $1,000 rebate.

But it was completely weird to see the title arrive prior to the plates and registration (and the title showing the serialized plates I just got today).

We picked up on the same day at the same location. I haven't received Title nor Plates. But, it must be coming soon. I had mobile service on Friday and I saw on their work order it now has a plate number instead of a null value.

We picked up on the same day at the same location. I haven't received Title nor Plates. But, it must be coming soon. I had mobile service on Friday and I saw on their work order it now has a plate number instead of a null value.
Yeah, they use a third party service to do all their DMV work, so DMV couldn't help.

They did say to allow up to 8 weeks, so you've got another three to go. :)