Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Model X Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys and gals. I currently have a 2013 P85+ that has retained its equity better than anticipated. I am looking to roll that equity in the purchase of a new Tesla - but I'm not sure if I should buy an X or another S.

I'm looking for some feedback on the X and what your experiences have been as owners of the vehicle. I haven't driven one yet, but my local Tesla SC has agreed to lend me one for the day tomorrow to see if it fits my routine (and mainly in my garage).

I received my Model S in August of 13' so I'm familiar with the small quality issues Tesla faced at the time. Would I be in for the same type of experience with an X? What options do you feel are worth it? Which options, if any, would you not choose if you ordered another vehicle?

Thanks!

My wife and I have both an S and an X.
Personally, I like smaller vehicles, so you can guess my preference:)

We don't need to tow, and we don't need more than five seats (most of the time 2 will do).

The only things I prefer with the X is the windshield...and the other will come back to me.

If I were buying a vehicle today, is would be a 75D Model S with the all glass roof and AP 2.0.

My wife LOVES the X. We have a 6 seat 90kWh X.

I think it really comes down to personal preference.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
My wife and I have both an S and an X.
Personally, I like smaller vehicles, so you can guess my preference:)

We don't need to tow, and we don't need more than five seats (most of the time 2 will do).

The only things I prefer with the X is the windshield...and the other will come back to me.

If I were buying a vehicle today, is would be a 75D Model S with the all glass roof and AP 2.0.

My wife LOVES the X. We have a 6 seat 90kWh X.

I think it really comes down to personal preference.

Thanks! Exactly the type of response I was looking for. I'm not in need of a very large vehicle, it would mainly be my wife and I in the X with friends occasionally in tow. No kids at the moment.

I'm leaning towards a 75kWh loadout as that is certainly enough range for 99.9% of my driving. However, Canadian winters can be harsh and often draining on range.

Enjoy your S & X!

@DSJ - I've had my MX since early October [just before AP2 was announced] and have had no issues with it other than a few weather stripping coming loose. The rest of this highlights feature issues and not manufacturing defects.

This being my first SUV, it is a bigger vehicle than I anticipated and fits just right in my 2 car garage. I have to pull the MX out to open the FWD as my garage is not tall enough for them to open. It is very spacious on the inside and as you'd expect sits tall on the road. As it does not have the Van amenities, such as handle bars to get in and out, seniors may have an issue getting into it. I often drop the suspension to very low to make it easier on them. I have a six-seater and would have liked to have arm rests in the 2nd row seats. It's also got more road-noise than I anticipated.

Since you already own a MS, you've already made a leap from the ICE to EV technology so won't sell you on that. I will say that I love the tall ride and have been driving it much more than my other ICE sedans. It is also a pleasure to demo the FWDs to curious bystanders in parking lots. I love the Windshield and the view from inside the MX. The factory 22" Wheels are a joy. I like the 6-seater option as the 2nd row seats can seat Adults/large kids comfortably and you always have the 3rd row seats for spill over. Although I usually have them down to increase boot space.

Love my X! I especially love the big windshield and higher drive. It is easy to get in and out of! I love the subzero package with the heated steering wheel! Really enjoy biohazard when the air is polluted or there is a smell or smoke in the air, TACC is better than I expected and I like auto-pilot. However, auto-pilot still requires a lot of supervision. When I have to drive an S I am always just anxious to get my X back. Oh, and the X is great in bad weather and roads!

Reactions: FarmerDave
@DSJ - I've had my MX since early October [just before AP2 was announced] and have had no issues with it other than a few weather stripping coming loose. The rest of this highlights feature issues and not manufacturing defects.

This being my first SUV, it is a bigger vehicle than I anticipated and fits just right in my 2 car garage. I have to pull the MX out to open the FWD as my garage is not tall enough for them to open. It is very spacious on the inside and as you'd expect sits tall on the road. As it does not have the Van amenities, such as handle bars to get in and out, seniors may have an issue getting into it. I often drop the suspension to very low to make it easier on them. I have a six-seater and would have liked to have arm rests in the 2nd row seats. It's also got more road-noise than I anticipated.

Since you already own a MS, you've already made a leap from the ICE to EV technology so won't sell you on that. I will say that I love the tall ride and have been driving it much more than my other ICE sedans. It is also a pleasure to demo the FWDs to curious bystanders in parking lots. I love the Windshield and the view from inside the MX. The factory 22" Wheels are a joy. I like the 6-seater option as the 2nd row seats can seat Adults/large kids comfortably and you always have the 3rd row seats for spill over. Although I usually have them down to increase boot space.

I think I will find the ride height/comfort level more to my liking with the X. I'm not a big guy, but I've been sitting in the S for almost 4 years and think that moving up a bit would be nice.

I doubt the FWD will open in my garage as well, but I'll find out tomorrow when I bring home the loaner.

As for the 22's, I was leaning towards not buying them. I have the grey 21's on my S and had one replaced after about
20k of driving due to a crack in the wheel. I've also need new rear tires on my S because of uneven wear and larger wheels = higher rubber costs. I do really love the black ones!

Love my X! I especially love the big windshield and higher drive. It is easy to get in and out of! I love the subzero package with the heated steering wheel! Really enjoy biohazard when the air is polluted or there is a smell or smoke in the air, TACC is better than I expected and I like auto-pilot. However, auto-pilot still requires a lot of supervision. When I have to drive an S I am always just anxious to get my X back. Oh, and the X is great in bad weather and roads!

Awesome! Thanks for the input. How long have you had your X? Any quality issues?

Awesome! Thanks for the input. How long have you had your X? Any quality issues?
I have had mine for a few weeks now. I have 0 quality issues. The fit and finish is near perfect if not perfect. Seems they spent some time improving quality. The 22" vs. 20" wheels seems to be a major difference in range 15 to 20% range suck, and road noise. I went with the 20" Helix. The road noise is minimal and I noticed I average around 350 Wh/mi at 72 miles an hour. You do the conversion to metric. :) So, compared to the S larger wheels with minimal impact the X larger wheels can make a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
I really didn't think AP2 would be announced less than 2 months after I got the car, but my X is a great car, and it'd be very hard going back to anything else.

I ordered the Premium package, but I wasn't really sure about it. The HEPA filter/bioweapon mode ended up being one of my favorite features. You never smell anything in the car - not landfills, not stinky trucks, nothing (and I've never needed to actually activate Bioweapon mode to achieve that result - it happens passively, with no thought or effort.) That feature alone probably makes Premium worth it in my opinion.

The heated steering wheel (from SubZero package) is a very nice touch as the days are getting colder, though for some reason it has to be turned on each time at the moment.

Autopilot is revolutionary, and a must have for anyone who spends much time in stop and go traffic or long road trips in my opinion. If I ordered today, I'm not sure if I'd add FSDC or not - it's something I certainly would like to have in a car, but I'll be surprised if Tesla is able to allow the car to do much of that in the next few years.

I did opt for FSDC with the ap2 EAP in the hopes that that they roll out parts of the capabilities over time. I wouldn't think it would be an all or EAP function only. For example, they may enable summon with seek parking on private property along with other easier to approval updates.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm now debating as to whether or not the 22" wheels are something I'd want. My experience with my 21's wasn't so great, however the black 22's look amazing.

Did you opt for the ultra high fidelity sound package? And am I the only one who thinks the 20" silver slipstream wheels look better than the 20" silver helix wheels? :)

I really didn't think AP2 would be announced less than 2 months after I got the car, but my X is a great car, and it'd be very hard going back to anything else.

I ordered the Premium package, but I wasn't really sure about it. The HEPA filter/bioweapon mode ended up being one of my favorite features. You never smell anything in the car - not landfills, not stinky trucks, nothing (and I've never needed to actually activate Bioweapon mode to achieve that result - it happens passively, with no thought or effort.) That feature alone probably makes Premium worth it in my opinion.

The heated steering wheel (from SubZero package) is a very nice touch as the days are getting colder, though for some reason it has to be turned on each time at the moment.

Autopilot is revolutionary, and a must have for anyone who spends much time in stop and go traffic or long road trips in my opinion. If I ordered today, I'm not sure if I'd add FSDC or not - it's something I certainly would like to have in a car, but I'll be surprised if Tesla is able to allow the car to do much of that in the next few years.

I keep hearing great things about the HEPA filter/bioweapon mode and I'm excited to drive it tomorrow and experience it for myself.

I actually have a P85D loaner at the moment as my vehicle is at the service center for a new 12v battery, so I used the heated steering wheel tonight and loved it. That and all wheel drive made my trek home much easier tonight as we're currently experiencing a horrible snowstorm in the Toronto area.

I see that enhanced autopilot has 4 cameras and full self driving capabilities ups the camera count to 8? The site also says that FSDC can be unlocked at a later point for a fee. Is the hardware for both packages entirely built in now and your ability to use it is decided by how much you want to spend?

I was leaning towards the six seat option - doesn't the 3rd row fold down flush now?

The third row has always folded flat. However, the second doesn't unless you order the five seat, so if you plan to transport things that are both over 60 inches long and over 18 inches wide, and the advantages of the six seat aren't useful to you, the five may be a better choice.

I keep hearing great things about the HEPA filter/bioweapon mode and I'm excited to drive it tomorrow and experience it for myself.

I actually have a P85D loaner at the moment as my vehicle is at the service center for a new 12v battery, so I used the heated steering wheel tonight and loved it. That and all wheel drive made my trek home much easier tonight as we're currently experiencing a horrible snowstorm in the Toronto area.

I see that enhanced autopilot has 4 cameras and full self driving capabilities ups the camera count to 8? The site also says that FSDC can be unlocked at a later point for a fee. Is the hardware for both packages entirely built in now and your ability to use it is decided by how much you want to spend?

That's our understanding, yes - we believe all cars are getting all eight cameras and using all eight to send Tesla data, but you get either just safety results from one or eAP using four if you don't order the full package.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm now debating as to whether or not the 22" wheels are something I'd want. My experience with my 21's wasn't so great, however the black 22's look amazing.

Did you opt for the ultra high fidelity sound package? And am I the only one who thinks the 20" silver slipstream wheels look better than the 20" silver helix wheels? :)

I am very satisfied with the 22" looks. I did not opt for the Ultra high fidelity sound, as I did not find much of a difference. I would urge you to consider the Subzero Weather package. The heated steering wheel, I bet, will come in handy in ON.

Also as an FYI, in my 6-seater, even though the 2nd row seats don't fold flat, I was able to use the gap between the 2 seats along with the 3rd row folded down, to move a large carpet. I like the gap between the 2 second row seats, just makes the cabin space more roomier.

Reactions: Saghost