Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for those of you running lowering links

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with my lowering links installed, my car now sits lower than stock "in standard mode" (with a slight rake).

When I set it to low, I can't seem to notice any difference in height. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior? The links are 10mm ball ends with adjustable rods like any other typical ones you find online, etc.

Car raises to high and very high without issues.. am I just maxed out? The tires are not tucking or anything so I know it's not as low as it can go...

Thanks in advance

with my lowering links installed, my car now sits lower than stock "in standard mode" (with a slight rake).

When I set it to low, I can't seem to notice any difference in height. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior? The links are 10mm ball ends with adjustable rods like any other typical ones you find online, etc.

Car raises to high and very high without issues.. am I just maxed out? The tires are not tucking or anything so I know it's not as low as it can go...

Thanks in advance

I'm running 8mm. My Standard setting is definitely lower than the stock Low setting. And my Low does lower the car even more and tucks the tires in nicely, but I wouldn't drive on this setting. It doesn't rub on Low, but it's more for looks when parked. I'm not sure I would go any lower than this, so perhaps 10mm is just "maxed out" at the Standard setting.

I'm running 8mm. My Standard setting is definitely lower than the stock Low setting. And my Low does lower the car even more and tucks the tires in nicely, but I wouldn't drive on this setting. It doesn't rub on Low, but it's more for looks when parked. I'm not sure I would go any lower than this, so perhaps 10mm is just "maxed out" at the Standard setting.

Thanks for the reply, when you say youre running 8mm what do you mean? My reference to 10mm is the size of the link ends (ball socket)... My car sits lower than stock for sure at standard mode, I just can't seem to go lower even in "low" mode than how it currently sits (which is about maybe 1 finger gap between the fender and the tire)... Not planning to drive on low, but I would like to have it sit lower when parked!

My car is a refresh 2017 dual motor if that matters... Thanks!

@Cricket88 - Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm running +8mm from stock which is 58mm from ball to ball in front and 78mm in the rear. They were 3D printed, here's the post:

3D printed lowering links

Gotcha! I set my links to the same length as the longest ones from that 3d printer post. I actually originally printed some but I didn't like the way they snapped in place because the sensors on the newer cars are now completely plastic and pressing the links in/out was putting a considerable amount of pressure onto the balljoint.

Reactions: benjiejr
Did you install them?

yep. i didnt feel any binding on the links but my 2016 MS75 also exhibited the same behavior where the car sits lower at standard than stock, but doesnt seem to go any lower beyond that on "low" setting... I havent been able to determine if the car auto raises / levels once you get out or what... I moved the links to my new ride and it does the same.

Same situation as you. I added roughly +7 to +8mm in length to the links all around and it doesn't really seem much lower.

good to know (well not really, but at least I know im not nuts)... Do you have a refresh newer model S? I am curious if the sensor positions are different and perhaps the travel of the links is different as well...

I am tempted to pony up and getting the Unplugged performance brackets since those seem to be ok with the refresh models...

@artsci. Thanks for the link. I actually followed your steps and recommendations for the length, but nothing really changed.

I out the car in very high mode, Jack mode, out the car on the lift, measured the stock links, added 8mm in length to each, installed the aftermarket link, dropped the car and drove off. Seems like no real change.

@artsci. Thanks for the link. I actually followed your steps and recommendations for the length, but nothing really changed.

I out the car in very high mode, Jack mode, out the car on the lift, measured the stock links, added 8mm in length to each, installed the aftermarket link, dropped the car and drove off. Seems like no real change.

That surprises me. Mine noticeably changes at each level, and I can feel and see the change.