Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Charge Port Locking behavior - anyone notice recent changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a change in charge port lock (locking pin) operation from my recent experiences, and wondered:

a) did anyone else notice ?
b) if anyone with 4.4 or even older software could check a few of these operations for me to validate my concerns

The previous experience I had (especially around the design of the CapturePro device) with charge port lock operation was the following:

interior charge-port buttonstop J1772 chargerpress J1772 handle button
owner in range unlockunlockunlock
owner out of range stay lockedstay lockedstay locked

What I'm seeing now with my V4.5 Model S:

owner in range stay locked stay locked unlock

Has anyone else noticed this, or can they add any data to the operation of their car with older SW rev?

If this change is validated to be true and no other method exists to unlock the charge port except the J1772 button, then the CapturePro device is rendered unusable (at least until or if SW update might make the lock policy different) -- the reason can be explained in more detail in the other more appropriate thread, but I wanted to alert drivers of the more general issue of this change.

Feedback would be appreciated here. :crying:

David Smith

Last edited:
Bump... nobody? Thoughts?

I put my thoughts on your thread in the "Parts for Sale" section; I think your concept got killed by the v4.5 software.

Hi David, a possible cause for this might be the v4.5 software update. Under v4.5, when Model S plugged in and fully charged the car now uses shore power for certain functions. That means power is flowing even when the car has finished charging and the adapter will stay locked until it receives a stop signal resulting from the unlocking removal of the charge plug. Stopping the charge at the Chargepoint machine prevents the signal from being sent, and the CapturePro was stopping the J1772 from being unlatched.

Just my theory, and probably not helpful to you, but it does provide an explanation.

FWIW I am on v.4.4 and the only way I can unlock with the CapturePro on tight (as designed) is to end charging at the ChargePoint station, then go to the touchscreen Controls and hit the charge port button (even though it shows the open port). This unlocks the adapter and I can remove the adapter, then pull off the CapturePro and disconnect the adapter. Indeed if I 'improperly' used too big a slot on the CapturePro to allow the button to be pushed on the charger handle, charging would stop and then you might in fact be able to disconnect the whole setup.

I have noticed a change in charge port lock (locking pin) operation from my recent experiences, and wondered:

a) did anyone else notice ?
b) if anyone with 4.4 or even older software could check a few of these operations for me to validate my concerns

The previous experience I had (especially around the design of the CapturePro device) with charge port lock operation was the following:

owner in range unlockunlockunlock

What I'm seeing now with my V4.5 Model S:

owner in range stay locked stay locked unlock

Has anyone else noticed this, or can they add any data to the operation of their car with older SW rev?

If this change is validated to be true and no other method exists to unlock the charge port except the J1772 button, then the CapturePro device is rendered unusable (at least until or if SW update might make the lock policy different) -- the reason can be explained in more detail in the other more appropriate thread, but I wanted to alert drivers of the more general issue of this change.

Feedback would be appreciated here. :crying:

David Smith

I see no difference with v4.5 and prior version behavior .
with 4.2 (?) I returned to my car and had to hunt down ( for 5 minutes) where someone put my J1772 adapter.

David Smith

Are you guys both named David Smith? Confusing.

I still could use a CapturePro, considering there's no alternative. You say that the problem only occurs if it is incorrectly placed, isn't there a way to make it very clear how not to do it? Or how about some kind of secret manual release which only CapturePro owners would know how to do? That's still useful in 90+% of cases.

I just did some testing of this. My firmware version is 4.5 build number 1.33.44. With the fob in range, my behavior is the same on all of Blink, Chargepoint, Clipper Creek 30A and Eaton 30A stations:

Stop charging from the touch screen - stays locked.

Stop charging from the EVSE - stays locked.

Press Charge Port button on the touch screen - unlocks as previously with an audible click, adapter can be removed without using the handle button.

Maybe this will change in a future update, but for now I would still be able to safely use the charging lock equipment. What is the build number you've seen with the new locking behavior?