Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question on Scheduled Departure charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you said is what is supposed to work. However, it didn't work that way. I have set the schedule departure and off-peak hours. However, it starts at random time. Sometimes it start before the off-peak hours and leaving 4 hours of off-peak hours unused. Sometimes is starts late and it doesn't reach my target percentage when I leave.
Then why bother? My off-peak rates are 8pm-8am. I use scheduled charging to start at 8pm, that way the car will always be charged before a 6am departure, regardless of whether it needs 30 min or 8 hours of charge time.

IMHO, people get too wound up about worrying about when the charge ends. It's better to charge early and have it finish a few hours before you leave, then be walking out the door and realize the car isn't charged enough. Having the car finish charging right before you leave is an unnecessary optimization.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Acps110
Then why bother? My off-peak rates are 8pm-8am. I use scheduled charging to start at 8pm, that way the car will always be charged before a 6am departure, regardless of whether it needs 30 min or 8 hours of charge time.

IMHO, people get too wound up about worrying about when the charge ends. It's better to charge early and have it finish a few hours before you leave, then be walking out the door and realize the car isn't charged enough. Having the car finish charging right before you leave is an unnecessary optimization.
Not to mention the scheduled departure code is notoriously unreliable. As far as charging goes I simply ignore it now in favor of a fixed start time. Otherwise I’ll just get angry at something that should work but doesn’t.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and tga
If I'm looking to get nearly 100% before a road trip, I'll set the limit to 80 or 90% the night before and start charging when off-peak starts at 8pm. Then when I wake up I kick the slider to 100% and give it an hour or so before I leave.

Even in the winter, the battery is usually warm enough when I get up to start charging with minimal heating.

If I'm looking to get nearly 100% before a road trip, I'll set the limit to 80 or 90% the night before and start charging when off-peak starts at 8pm. Then when I wake up I kick the slider to 100% and give it an hour or so before I leave.

Even in the winter, the battery is usually warm enough when I get up to start charging with minimal heating.
That could be a good trick for me. What's the ambient temperature progress when parked overnight while you get your sleep?

That could be a good trick for me. What's the ambient temperature progress when parked overnight while you get your sleep?
We definitely get colder in New Hampshire than Queenstown; avg lows in Jan/Feb are around -10C, but we’ll have a few nights close to -30C.

I could get some pack temp data before/during/after charging sessions next winter.

We definitely get colder in New Hampshire than Queenstown; avg lows in Jan/Feb are around -10C, but we’ll have a few nights close to -30C.

I could get some pack temp data before/during/after charging sessions next winter.
And you keep Tesla outside?

We max out -7°C frosts as a rule but garage stays quite warm thanks to gas boilers operating in there. I am picking for around 8°C inside.

And you keep Tesla outside?

We max out -7°C frosts as a rule but garage stays quite warm thanks to gas boilers operating in there. I am picking for around 8°C inside.
Yes, parked outside for 8 winters. If your inside parking area doesn’t get below 8C, I wouldn’t worry at all.

Also, I would expert your usage to be very predictable, with a similar state of charge at the end of your day and target charge in the morning. You could slow down the charge rate if necessary so it finishes charging just before you start the day.

Reactions: QtownTaxiGreg