Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Re: Ground Wire for HPWC (ver. 1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
I have a ver. 1 HPWC that I have moved from my home in one state to a home in a second state. I am using 4AWG THHN/THWN-2 wire (black and red for L1and L2, respectively) and green for GND) with an 80A breaker to charge at a 64A max rate.

The manual says that the ground lug will accept a max wire size of 4AWG. However, I can not get the green 4AWG wire thru the hole of the ground lug. How do you all get the ground wire into the hole of the ground lug? Do you use a smaller gauge wire (eg, 6AWG) for the ground run? Even though the Tesla manual states a 4AWG wire will fit, that does not seem to be the case.

Even without a ferrel, the wire will not fit into the opening.

Thanks

I have a ver. 1 HPWC that I have moved from my home in one state to a home in a second state. I am using 4AWG THHN/THWN-2 wire (black and red for L1and L2, respectively) and green for GND) with an 80A breaker to charge at a 64A max rate.

The manual says that the ground lug will accept a max wire size of 4AWG. However, I can not get the green 4AWG wire thru the hole of the ground lug. How do you all get the ground wire into the hole of the ground lug? Do you use a smaller gauge wire (eg, 6AWG) for the ground run? Even though the Tesla manual states a 4AWG wire will fit, that does not seem to be the case.

Even without a ferrel, the wire will not fit into the opening.

Thanks

I used #8 for ground in my gen 1 WC, 100a breaker

Up to a 100A circuit, 8 AWG copper is acceptable for the earth ground wire. Why did you bother using 4 AWG for the ground?
No matter, you're already there, I guess.
Well yeah, that's what I'm wondering. That pretty unusual and unnecessary to have a 4 gauge ground. I wonder if it would be hard to replace that with more appropriate wire that has a smaller ground. Or, (I have no idea how code appropriate this is) since the ground wire is allowed to be smaller, can you clip off some of the strands of that ground wire to make it smaller and fit?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and dhrivnak
Well yeah, that's what I'm wondering. That pretty unusual and unnecessary to have a 4 gauge ground. I wonder if it would be hard to replace that with more appropriate wire that has a smaller ground. Or, (I have no idea how code appropriate this is) since the ground wire is allowed to be smaller, can you clip off some of the strands of that ground wire to make it smaller and fit?
It is definitely heavily frowned upon to snip off strands and "make it fit". Hence the (legit) suggestion to make a properly terminated jumper.

It is definitely heavily frowned upon to snip off strands and "make it fit". Hence the (legit) suggestion to make a properly terminated jumper.
Heh, yeah, I'm sure it's not the preferred proper way to do it from the start, but if the wire is already in place and hard to change, and with it not being a current-carrying wire, it would be very low risk.