TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Question re TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Slymonkey, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Slymonkey

Slymonkey Member

Tesla has just completed production on my S60, so I should be getting my car in the next 5-10 days! Can't wait! Quick question for you guys: I'm thinking about ordering a set of 20" rims and tires off Tirerack.com. Can someone educate me a little about TPMS? Do I need to order them from Tirerack (at $65 x 4), or would I be able to reuse the ones that will come with my stock wheels? If I can reuse, would the installer have to unmount the tires on the new set, or do the TPMS units install on the outside (basically, do I have Tirerack mount and balance or just ship the wheels and tires seperately)? Also, would I need to have Tesla re-sync the TPMS for me, or would I be able to do it myself?

Thanks a ton and look forward to joining the family!
    Jay

2. Vrrooom

Vrrooom Member

Yes:
    - you can reuse existing if you want, to do so they'd have to unmount tires to swap
    - you can buy new ones if you want as well and it'll be simpler

For programming: simply install your new wheels and go for a drive. Within 1 mile it'll prompt a message on the display saying new wheels detected and it will auto program the new TPMS.

3. Slymonkey

Slymonkey Member

4. 1tsla

1tsla Member

Are there specific types of TPMS that we can use and do all tire installers know how to install it (is a Tesla unique with TPMS)?

5. Sandman1962

Sandman1962 Member

I purchased winter wheels/tires from Tirerack. I purchased new TPMS sensors from them as well.
    You can register the new TPMS sensors to the car via the onboard display. It takes a few miles for it to sync up and give accurate readings. I've found the Tirerack ones work just fine. Good luck!

• Like x 1
  6. 1tsla

1tsla Member

THank you.

7. onautopilot

onautopilot Member

I picked up four TPMS sensors from Tesla today. They charged me 200$. They had them in stock at the local service center.

8. 1tsla

1tsla Member

That's cheaper than tirerack. Too bad my nearest SC is over 150 miles away.

9. Dax279

Dax279 Member

Quick question, I received a quote today for new rims and the quote included an estimate to program the tpms sensors. This did not seem right tom me given that I thought my MS prompts when new wheels are sensed? Is there something I am missing?

10. kev1n

kev1n Member

is this quote from Tesla? if it is, that doesnt make sense since the car can re-calibrate the tpms when it sees new ones. also are you on the old tpms or new ones? are they charging you yo upgrade to the new system?

11. Dax279

Dax279 Member

No I am going for after market rims and this is what the tire shop is telling me and it does not sound right. I have a 2015 and am on the new sensors and will just be buying new sensors from Tesla for the tire shop to instal. My thoughts are no calibration is needed and just want to confirm that this is correct.

Thank you!

12. kev1n

kev1n Member

always do your own research! i wouldn't trust any shop or tesla for that matter.

from what i know, you just have them put in the TPMS, then after the wheels/tire are installed on the car, there is a reset TPMS in one of the menus.

13. Dax279

Dax279 Member

Thank you!

14. David.85D

David.85D Member

I've done this. No special programming needed. Mount up the tires then tell the car (via the touch screen) to reset and immediately drive until they register - maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

And $50 each should be the top price you pay. That's the current dealer price and you can get identical VDO units (OEM on later models) online for $48 each plus shipping.

15. Dax279

Dax279 Member

Thank you!

I have to double check, but believe they charged me cdn$79 per sensor.