TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question re TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Slymonkey, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Slymonkey

Slymonkey Member

Tesla has just completed production on my S60, so I should be getting my car in the next 5-10 days! Can't wait! Quick question for you guys: I'm thinking about ordering a set of 20" rims and tires off Tirerack.com. Can someone educate me a little about TPMS? Do I need to order them from Tirerack (at $65 x 4), or would I be able to reuse the ones that will come with my stock wheels? If I can reuse, would the installer have to unmount the tires on the new set, or do the TPMS units install on the outside (basically, do I have Tirerack mount and balance or just ship the wheels and tires seperately)? Also, would I need to have Tesla re-sync the TPMS for me, or would I be able to do it myself?

Thanks a ton and look forward to joining the family!
    Jay

2. Vrrooom

Vrrooom Member

Yes:
    - you can reuse existing if you want, to do so they'd have to unmount tires to swap
    - you can buy new ones if you want as well and it'll be simpler

For programming: simply install your new wheels and go for a drive. Within 1 mile it'll prompt a message on the display saying new wheels detected and it will auto program the new TPMS.

3. Slymonkey

Slymonkey Member

4. 1tsla

1tsla Member

Are there specific types of TPMS that we can use and do all tire installers know how to install it (is a Tesla unique with TPMS)?

5. Sandman1962

Sandman1962 Member

I purchased winter wheels/tires from Tirerack. I purchased new TPMS sensors from them as well.
    You can register the new TPMS sensors to the car via the onboard display. It takes a few miles for it to sync up and give accurate readings. I've found the Tirerack ones work just fine. Good luck!

• Like x 1
  6. 1tsla

1tsla Member

THank you.

7. onautopilot

onautopilot Member

I picked up four TPMS sensors from Tesla today. They charged me 200$. They had them in stock at the local service center.

8. 1tsla

1tsla Member

That's cheaper than tirerack. Too bad my nearest SC is over 150 miles away.