Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about my Tesla Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my car for a few months now and a few questions that I have are:
1. Does anyone have a super charging area they can recommend in the NW corner of Montana?

2. If I didn’t purchase the auto drive option, can I still put the car in cruise control?

3. I did purchase the option of having the most mileage per charge, but I can’t get it to more than 310 miles. Is there something I can do to get it to the ‘promised’ 340 miles?

thanks for any advice!

1. Does anyone have a super charging area they can recommend in the NW corner of Montana?

2. If I didn’t purchase the auto drive option, can I still put the car in cruise control?

3. I did purchase the option of having the most mileage per charge, but I can’t get it to more than 310 miles. Is there something I can do to get it to the ‘promised’ 340 miles?

thanks for any advice!
1. No clue on Montana, sorry.

2. All model Y come with autopilot which is much more intuitive than cruise control. Push down on the right stalk (gear selector) two times quickly and you're going to be notified autopilot is enabled assuming the road is marked properly. You can adjust how close or far you get from the car in front of you and it will monitor everything going on around you as well.

3. The 340 miles isn't and never had been promised. It's the EPA using their testing method to achieve efficiency numbers that are generally bogus, same as ice cars and their mpg. I believe if you go 50 on a perfectly flat road with your tires at 42psi with no AC on and zero headwind you may get the EPA estimate but any elevation change, acceleration or speeds higher than 50, head wind, traffic, and overall driving habits will all effect your efficiency/mileage

Thank you so much for the information about autopilot! So helpful :)

as far as the promised 340 miles, we were actually promised by our salesperson. And I understand about how the miles will change with road conditions and speed traveling etc. but I was just talking about how much you can get the ‘tank’ to be filled to before driving. We were told 340 per charge.

What @bruce4000 said above for supercharging. but - the link is supercharge.info (without the "r"). It looks like the one with the "r" is a redirect to someones referral code. Nice.

Plugshare is a great resource too!

On supercharge.info you can look at the "map" view. Be sure to pay attention to the legend... it includes supercharger stations that are in the planning state. Also, when you click on one of the stations there is a "discuss" link. It will link back to the thread here if you want to read up if people have had success or trouble at that location.

Last edited:

thanks for any advice!
Are you referring to a Tesla Model Y or a Tesla Model X? The EPA estimated range of the Tesla Model X is 340 miles. The EPA estimated range of the Tesla Model Y varies between 303 and 326 miles depending on whether the vehicle is the Performance Model Y (303 miles) or the Long Range Model Y (326 miles). One reason that the Tesla Model X has a greater estimated range than the Tesla Model Y is that it has a larger capacity battery than the Model Y. (The Tesla Model X has the falcon wing rear doors. The Tesla Model Y has conventional rear doors.)

Are you referring to a Tesla Model Y or a Tesla Model X? The EPA estimated range of the Tesla Model X is 340 miles. The EPA estimated range of the Tesla Model Y varies between 303 and 326 miles depending on whether the vehicle is the Performance Model Y (303 miles) or the Long Range Model Y (326 miles). One reason that the Tesla Model X has a greater estimated range than the Tesla Model Y is that it has a larger capacity battery than the Model Y. (The Tesla Model X has the falcon wing rear doors. The Tesla Model Y has conventional rear doors.)
Oh thank you for this information! I’ll bet our salesperson was talking about the X model for the 340 range. We purchased the long range in the Y model. Still can’t get it past 310 however, and when I called Tesla customer service, they told me I would need to “build up the memory”

Oh thank you for this information! I’ll bet our salesperson was talking about the X model for the 340 range. We purchased the long range in the Y model. Still can’t get it past 310 however, and when I called Tesla customer service, they told me I would need to “build up the memory”
That may help but in reality very few Model Y owners achieve over 300 miles of range on a single battery charge. For most daily local driving you rarely need anywhere close to the full battery range, For longer trips the Supercharger network provides a convenient charging place every 2 to 2.5 hours of driving, about 120 to 140 miles. This may not be the case in Montana, yet, but new Supercharger locations are being added all the time.

This is the official Tesla Supercharger page. You can enter your location to find nearby Superchargers:
Supercharger | Tesla

Here is a link to a spreadsheet of known Supercharger locations including ones still in the planning/construction stage:
supercharge.info

As far as rated range it will adjust, if you got the performance option it will also be less then the LR. Regardless of what it says I think most would agree the model Y is closer to a 240-250 mile car then the rated 327.

Reactions: coleman567

thanks for any advice!
I took delivery of my Model Y in March 2020, no contact delivery so I got almost no info from the rep on my car. You Tube videos taught me everything I needed to know about my car.