Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a 2023 Model Y Performance since December 2022 (yes I purchased right before the ~$13k price reduction) and wondered what I should expect for range.

I frequently drive from the Pensacola area to Atlanta and back which is almost all highway and I usually charge to 100% before leaving so the estimated range is approx. 300 miles, however when I stop to charge at about 200 miles I generally have less than 15% range left; meaning I am getting less than 250 miles. I typically set the cruise control at ~80 so not sure if that has that big of an impact. Is this to be expected? How should one drive to get 300 miles from a full charge?

First, there is nothing wrong with your 2022 Tesla Performance Model Y's highway range of ~200 miles. Driving range is mostly based on efficiency (Watt-hours per mile) and directly related to your average highway speed. Above 60 miles per hour efficiency is impacted by your driving speed. Above 70 miles per hour even more so. If you enjoy driving your Tesla Model Y at ~80 MPH then you should not worry about your driving efficiency or range.

Know that you could increase your efficiency and range by slowing down by even 5 MPH. Approximately 220 to 230 mile range would be achievable if you chose to drive slower. (If you changed your wheels to lighter 19 inch wheels and tires you could improve efficiency of your Performance Model Y by between 7% to 9 % (this is the efficiency lost when using the heavier 21" Uberturbine wheels instead of the Tesla Gemini 19" wheels with wheel covers.)

300 mile range is not achievable in the Tesla Model Y under most driving conditions as the Tesla EPA combined City/Highway range estimate is based on an average speed not exceeding 48 MPH and not using Climate Control. The Tesla EPA range estimate is useful when comparing the efficiency of different Tesla vehicles, vehicle wheel offerings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Published Range, works the same as EPA MPG in a gas car, Yes, you could drive slower and achieve the EPA rating if you were so inclined. Or, You could just let her rip from one charging station to the next, charge an extra 10% or so at the supercharger for a little extra buffer that you're going to burn driving that fast. It's the fastest way to get from point "A" to "B".

Upvote 0
You'll likely never see that 300-mile range. Those EPA estimates are far over stated. The test are done in perfect conditions, with NO AC on, and no extra weight (passengers, bags, etc), On a flat terrain driving 60MPH max. Wait until your battery degrades 10% in the first year too.

Upvote 0
I typically set the cruise control at ~80 so not sure if that has that big of an impact.
Yes, it has a HUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE impact.
Is this to be expected?
Yes (especially at that speed)
How should one drive to get 300 miles from a full charge?
To get EPA results, one would need to drive like the EPA tests, which would be something like avereaging ~40 miles an hour, with no hills or other terrain changes, no weather, and likely no additional weight. In other words, you are not going to get EPA range, or close to it, driving in any sort of normal fashion, on normal roads, in normal weather.

For more than that, you can search this subforum (model Y) with the keyword "Range: and read other threads on the topic. There are probably 100-150 more threads with a similar topic, so there is plenty of reading should one be so inclined.

Upvote 0
enjoy the car.. i notice.. if i have max auto air cond on it eats battery. and driving makes a difference.. i drove to my friends house i was like 220-250 watt hours on the way there on the way back over 300 same speed (going up hill makes a difference)

Upvote 0
I typically set the cruise control at ~80 so not sure if that has that big of an impact.
Here is what TeslaFi shows on my MYLR for efficiency at different speeds. You can see that 55 to 75mph is fairly consistent, but then there is a big hit (approx 15%) when pushing above 75mph.

chart_main (1).png

Also, keep in mind that ATL is 1000 feet above sea level. You're driving uphill from FL to ATL, which will have an effect. You probably see better efficiency on the return trip back to FL.

Attachments

• chart_main (1).png
    chart_main (1).png
    41.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
I have owned a 2023 Model Y Performance since December 2022 (yes I purchased right before the ~$13k price reduction) and wondered what I should expect for range.

I frequently drive from the Pensacola area to Atlanta and back which is almost all highway and I usually charge to 100% before leaving so the estimated range is approx. 300 miles, however when I stop to charge at about 200 miles I generally have less than 15% range left; meaning I am getting less than 250 miles. I typically set the cruise control at ~80 so not sure if that has that big of an impact. Is this to be expected? How should one drive to get 300 miles from a full charge?
Perfectly normal.
You can get 300 mile range by doing the following:

1. No AC/Heater
2. driver only (less than 150 lbs)
3. no luggage
4. no headwind
5. Tires inflated to 42 plus PSI
6. keep at or under 60 mph
7. sunny day and dry pavement
8, Very slow acceleration
9 high altitude

Upvote 0
Perfectly normal.
You can get 300 mile range by doing the following:

1. No AC/Heater
2. driver only (less than 150 lbs)
3. no luggage
4. no headwind
5. Tires inflated to 42 plus PSI
6. keep at or under 60 mph
7. sunny day and dry pavement
8, Very slow acceleration
9 high altitude

main thing is speed, clear day And altitude for me. I use low AC, family of 3, some cargo , 19” tire At 42 psi and normal acceleration to get very close to EPA. just need to follow speed limted. 😉

Upvote 0