Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Ordering Model Y Tow Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it makes u feel better I’ve ordered eco hitch and aftermarket wire harness a month ago an it may take another month to get here …

uhaul site saying same thing. Anyone know if 2021 hitch is same as 2020 ? Uhaul is the lowest price but they say theirs will only fit 2021 not 2020.

Still no tracking information. No information from Tesla except on July 22nd an email with no concrete information, this is an excerpt, “Because the items are shipped internally there is no tracking to provide. Your service adviser will be able to provide updates on your order. Please use the following directions to schedule service via the mobile app:”

The appointment for July 27th is going to get moved again I suppose haha. The service advisor says he can’t track it. Nobody knows where it is.

This seems odd for an item that was ordered on July 1.

It might be faster to order a car with the hitch than just the hitch itself...

Hope you get it soon! I love how well this car tows.
B016A793-F5FD-4D67-A864-032F3CDDD682.jpeg

45E9D91A-393A-49CB-9D87-2DCE8C960A84.jpeg

Just finished building this. Reinforced harbor freight trailer. Will tow dirt bike with it. Hoping I can average 400wh/mi so I can make it to most destinations I ride at in Nor Cal.

Ok, this is very similar to what I was towing and the same exact model of trailer. I was towing a big v-twin cruiser but no windshield but it did have saddlebags. So picture this bike without the windscreen it has. I set the cruise to 70 mph and had the AC on 73F. It was 92F outside. I am rolling on 19" Martian wheels and no aero hubcaps.

1627359220476.png

Ok, this is very similar to what I was towing and the same exact model of trailer. I was towing a big v-twin cruiser but no windshield but it did have saddlebags. So picture this bike without the windscreen it has. I set the cruise to 70 mph and had the AC on 73F. It was 92F outside. I am rolling on 19" Martian wheels and no aero hubcaps.

View attachment 688570
Are you towing this on the Y? If so, what’s your wh/mi?

So towing on the same type of trailer as in my post, with a similar motorcycle (but no windscreen on the bike) I am at 369 Wh/mi at 70 mph.

Towing a tandem jetski trailer with 2 large skis (SeaDoo RXT 300) I have been seeing 455 Wh/mi at 60 mph. On the roads to where I ski, 60 mph is the limit. The skis stick out quite a bit from the side of the car and are definitely higher than it. Still, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

And you may be able to use AP too, not that I would recommend it. On our Model X when in towing mode the computer will adjust power usage while traveling to superchargers. You may not see this on the non tesla hitch.
AP would not be a great idea while towing. Then again, AP isn't a great execution, so no biggie.

I'll not be towing long distances. Typically I tow 5-10 miles total. A long EV trip is hard enough without a trailer.

I'd assume timing supercharging is based on actual power use, not theoretical, since different trailers have different weights and drags.

Why not get on etrailer and order the hitch receiver and harness ? They will match uhaul price of $350 …

why wouldn’t you want AP towing a small trailer ??

love the harbor freight 4x8. I painted frame black and added frame sides via 1x6. Also added tie downs in the bed. I tow 3 dirt bikes, or 2 kayaks, or several mtn bikes, or thousands of pounds of sod or whatever I’m doing. I prob have 100k on that trailer and it’s great just super heavy. Make sure and get a spare tire and jack / lug wrench combo and replace tires every year or 2. I’ve had the harness wires rust out an need replacement and also the taillights but just went LED. Great trailer that can be built to suit lots of tasks more so than a jetski trailer or such

granted pic was from Durango that I traded for Y and hitch is still en route from etrailer .. will update with pics of that soon !

1627447997972.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not get on etrailer and order the hitch receiver and harness ? They will match uhaul price of $350 …

why wouldn’t you want AP towing a small trailer ??

love the harbor freight 4x8. I painted frame black and added frame sides via 1x6. Also added tie downs in the bed. I tow 3 dirt bikes, or 2 kayaks, or several mtn bikes, or thousands of pounds of sod or whatever I’m doing. I prob have 100k on that trailer and it’s great just super heavy. Make sure and get a spare tire and jack / lug wrench combo and replace tires every year or 2. I’ve had the harness wires rust out an need replacement and also the taillights but just went LED. Great trailer that can be built to suit lots of tasks more so than a jetski trailer or such

granted pic was from Durango that I traded for Y and hitch is still en route from etrailer .. will update with pics of that soon !
I wouldn't want AP towing a trailer because a trailer makes the car less table, and AP isn't programmed to deal with that circumstance. It could perform an emergency maneuver and cause an accident that wouldn't have happened without a trailer. Then there's the phantom braking, which is difficult to tolerate normally but could upset cargo unnecessarily. No thanks.

Also I could not help but notice that the draw-tite hitch has a higher 525lbs tongue weight, which is convenient. However, it does say that there may need to be some trimming of panels. Not a fan of that. Still, the higher tongue weight would mean people can put their bike racks on with more bikes. I'd probably go this way. I'd rather get the beefier part.

When I drive on AP I’m also very attentive so not like I’m sleeping. If I used it towing i would be more careful still. I tow a lot on rural country roads. Not having use of an option u paid for is ridiculous . If you don’t have the ability to not use it under questionable circumstances u shouldn’t have it to begin with.

tongue weight is usually rated at 10% of tow rating. It’s a figure intended to to make sure you put that load on the ball hitch to stabilize the trailer. If you tow a 3500 lbs trailer with zero load on the ball hitch, it will start doing the sine wave after about 45 mph. It’s very dangerous so they want a min load on the tongue.

I would not be concerned at all with vertical load on the receiver. The suspension would Bottom out long before the hitch or hitch mounting bolts would shear. The oem bumper crash bar has a threaded hole to attach a tow eye into. That crash bar is also attached via same bolts that attach hitch. That tow eye is meant to be able to lift the entire car vertically, sometimes filled with water/mud or far down an embankment which is likely much more than 5000 lbs…

If you don’t have the ability to not use it under questionable circumstances u shouldn’t have it to begin with.
Cough. Cough.
tongue weight is usually rated at 10% of tow rating. It’s a figure intended to to make sure you put that load on the ball hitch to stabilize the trailer. If you tow a 3500 lbs trailer with zero load on the ball hitch, it will start doing the sine wave after about 45 mph. It’s very dangerous so they want a min load on the tongue.
Tongue weight is usually 10-15%, not 10%. More I hear is better, up to 15%.
I would not be concerned at all with vertical load on the receiver. The suspension would Bottom out long before the hitch or hitch mounting bolts would shear. The oem bumper crash bar has a threaded hole to attach a tow eye into. That crash bar is also attached via same bolts that attach hitch. That tow eye is meant to be able to lift the entire car vertically, sometimes filled with water/mud or far down an embankment which is likely much more than 5000 lbs…
Trailer loads aren't static. I'd hate to be telling this all to an insurance company after I exceeded the tongue weight of my hitch and got in an accident.

Usually when you see tongue weight rating it’s 10% hence 350/3500 on Tesla. There are people on the forum freaking about putting a bike rack on with a few bikes which is ridiculous. The car can be lifted up via the hitch mounting points. I wouldn’t say to bottom on the vehicle and go drive it but if you stayed at or below 350 tongue weight there would never be an issue.

Usually when you see tongue weight rating it’s 10% hence 350/3500 on Tesla. There are people on the forum freaking about putting a bike rack on with a few bikes which is ridiculous. The car can be lifted up via the hitch mounting points. I wouldn’t say to bottom on the vehicle and go drive it but if you stayed at or below 350 tongue weight there would never be an issue.
My Subaru Forester has a weight rating of 3500 lbs and a maximum tongue weight of 525 lbs. 15%. My Dodge Ram pickup, now sold, has a max tow of 8,930 and a max tongue of 1100. 12.3%. My truck, with 3.92 gears, is on the high end of the towing capacity. Many models had lower capacities. In sum, 10% may be the normal limit, but not in my experience or with any vehicle I've owned. It's more like a minumum.

Reactions: a2t2