TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Questions about remote access and data

Discussion in 'Model S' started by artsci, May 5, 2018.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I’ve been away from home for about a week. During that time my car has been at a local shop to have a few minor issues addressed. Don’t know if the shop turned off remote access but during that time on the phone app I have been able to see the location of the car, the state of charge, and whether the doors, frunk, and trunk are open.

I know the car has been driven a few times (to test some rattles and other things I was concerned about) but on the app the odometer reading has stayed the same as it was when I left the car with the shop a week ago. Also, when I go on TeslaFi, I see no records of drives or other data changes. Only the state of charge has gone down.

Does this have something to do with remote access being turned off or could it be something else? I’ve never experiences this before.

2. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Active Member

My service center regalarly turns off remote access. They turn it on when I pick up the car.

During that time neither the APP nor the loggers will receive information from the car.

3. animorph

animorph Active Member

"A local shop"? Not a Tesla Service Center? I doubt anyone but Tesla would bother disabling access. Seems more like no one has driven it long enough to register on the odometer or TeslaFi.

4. appleguru

appleguru Member

If mobile access is disabled, you can’t get any stats like charge, door status, etc. So seems they left it on (and indeed, haven’t really driven it... at least not when Teslafi was logging!)

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Probably the case but I’m puzzled that they did no test drives. The shop in question has much experience with Teslas so they would know have to turn off remote access. But as I could see the doors opened I guess they didn’t do it. I’ll find out when I pick up the car tonight.

6. David.85D

David.85D Member

Tesla’s network was down - maybe Monday of last week? Perhaps that was part of it.