Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about using the screen, from a new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, a couple questions as I work with the screen and its many features.

As I invoke all the features, I keep wishing for a "go back" or "home" button... And it would be nice if one of the knobs on the wheel would do it. I'd like to jump back to a "preferred layout" without releasing my hands from the wheel. Of course, whatever is showing I can usually tap the little [X] button, or swipe down, but often this leaves another feature behind it, still concealing the map. While driving and touching the screen, my elbow isn't supported and the car is moving so I tap imprecisely... especially while trying to watch the road. I'd also prefer to set up a "default" layout while driving. (Maybe I'd like the rear camera on the bottom half, and navigation on the top half.)

Is there such a "home" or "go back" feature built into the wheel? Don't see it described in the manual, but I wish it was there. (And maybe it exists and I don't know it.)

Second, is there a way the navigation screen can be a little more "3D-like"? I know it's a little bit 3D, but mostly it's like I'm looking almost straight down at the roads. Some may prefer this, but I don't. I'd rather have a view of the roads like I'm looking higher toward the horizon, which is how most navigators such as Garmin look. For me, this helps because it makes whatever's close to you larger, as it may be important such as an exit, while still allowing you to view roads further ahead within limited screen space.

Thanks.

Hi folks, a couple questions as I work with the screen and its many features.

As I invoke all the features, I keep wishing for a "go back" or "home" button... And it would be nice if one of the knobs on the wheel would do it. I'd like to jump back to a "preferred layout" without releasing my hands from the wheel. Of course, whatever is showing I can usually tap the little [X] button, or swipe down, but often this leaves another feature behind it, still concealing the map. While driving and touching the screen, my elbow isn't supported and the car is moving so I tap imprecisely... especially while trying to watch the road. I'd also prefer to set up a "default" layout while driving. (Maybe I'd like the rear camera on the bottom half, and navigation on the top half.)

Is there such a "home" or "go back" feature built into the wheel? Don't see it described in the manual, but I wish it was there. (And maybe it exists and I don't know it.)

Second, is there a way the navigation screen can be a little more "3D-like"? I know it's a little bit 3D, but mostly it's like I'm looking almost straight down at the roads. Some may prefer this, but I don't. I'd rather have a view of the roads like I'm looking higher toward the horizon, which is how most navigators such as Garmin look. For me, this helps because it makes whatever's close to you larger, as it may be important such as an exit, while still allowing you to view roads further ahead within limited screen space.

Thanks.

I rest my elbow on the center console when needing to tap the screen so my arm is not suspended in mid-air. This gives me good tapping accuracy.

You can get a birds-eye 3D view only if you are navigating to a destination. In that case, just tap the compass icon in the upper right-hand corner and it will cycle through three (I think) different views.

I rest my elbow on the center console when needing to tap the screen so my arm is not suspended in mid-air. This gives me good tapping accuracy.

You're clearly not 6'1". This isn't possible for me unless I lean forward.

You can get a birds-eye 3D view only if you are navigating to a destination. In that case, just tap the compass icon in the upper right-hand corner and it will cycle through three (I think) different views.

Yes, as I acknowledged. Actually to be accurate, I believe the map can give a bird's eye view while driving whether a destination is selected or not. What I'm asking is if I can change the "horizon height" of the bird's eye, so the bird is looking a bit more forward and a bit less down, almost seeing the horizon. Most GPS navigation units I've used can do this.

I agree with you on both counts. Operating a touch screen at that height while driving is less than optimal. For buttons on the upper half of the screen I often use my thumb to tap the button while restting the other fingers of my hand on the upper edge, that helps a bit.

I also miss a "3D" map view, and find it very annoying that the view doesn't automatically switch between heading-up and north-up when entering/leaving navigation mode (it used to do that, but now stays in whatever view you last chose). Having to constantly tap the view button in the far corner of the screen is highly annoying.

Reactions: AquaMan
C0C53F03-3561-4BAD-B9A3-ED20B46DEE39.jpeg
I’ve been digging through threads trying to find info on a 3D map view. Mine just looks like damn overhead view looking straight down, even while navigating to big. I’ve cycled the options in the top right and it switches between north up, car up, and route overview. But I can’t seem to get it to switch to a 3D view where it’s angled behind the car like in google maps or waze.

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• D2FB84A4-4008-4261-BEDC-6B3AA583E1F4.jpeg
    D2FB84A4-4008-4261-BEDC-6B3AA583E1F4.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 91
I’ve cycled the options in the top right and it switches between north up, car up, and route overview.

Your image is what I'm longing for... Much more like "looking up to the horizon".

I think "car up" is 3D, but it only becomes 3D when your next turn is far enough away... and it barely has any effect.

I'd still like to have programmable steering wheel buttons, especially to "go back" or hide the currently-active window, retreating all the way back to the navigation screen.

View attachment 479425 I’ve been digging through threads trying to find info on a 3D map view. Mine just looks like damn overhead view looking straight down, even while navigating to big. I’ve cycled the options in the top right and it switches between north up, car up, and route overview. But I can’t seem to get it to switch to a 3D view where it’s angled behind the car like in google maps or waze.

Am I missing something?

To use 3D view you must be in navigation mode. If you don't have a destination selected, then just enter one.

Once in navigation mode, just touch the little compass icon (if I recall) near the upper right side of the screen. Instead of toggling between two modes (north up and direction up) you will now toggle between those two modes and 3D view mode.

To use 3D view you must be in navigation mode. If you don't have a destination selected, then just enter one.

Respectfully, you're essentially repeating the answer you gave earlier in this thread, and I don't believe that's what Hari-bhari, or I, were asking for. If you've ever seen a screen which looks up at the horizon with distant roads depicted substantially smaller, as shown in Hari Bhari's image, please post a photo of the screen. Yes, 3D view exists when navigating, but the effect is so minimal it makes almost no difference. We'd like to be able to "look up more" in 3D view.

Hari-bhari, it seems the software just won't do what we both wish it would. Not enough anyway.

Hari-Bhari said he doesn't get what he's looking for, "even while navigating".

Respectfully, you're essentially repeating the answer you gave earlier in this thread, and I don't believe that's what Hari-bhari, or I, were asking for. If you've ever seen a screen which looks up at the horizon with distant roads depicted substantially smaller, as shown in Hari Bhari's image, please post a photo of the screen. Yes, 3D view exists when navigating, but the effect is so minimal it makes almost no difference. We'd like to be able to "look up more" in 3D view.

Hari-bhari, it seems the software just won't do what we both wish it would. Not enough anyway.

Hari-Bhari said he doesn't get what he's looking for, "even while navigating".

I've been using 3D mode on GPS's for over 17 years and I've never seen a GPS that has a more exaggerated 3D mode, at least not that I found noticeable or meaningful in any way. A 3D view gives the aerial perspective and is totally different from a top-down map view.

May I ask what you are trying to achieve? Because your description makes me think you haven't used the 3D mode. What does the 3D mode that you want actually accomplish that the Tesla doesn't?

I've been using 3D mode on GPS's for over 17 years and I've never seen a GPS that has a more exaggerated 3D mode

Note my Avatar... For 12 years I've been navigating to at leat 4 new locations per day within a 50-mile service area using Garmins, TomTom's, Magellan, Google Maps, Apple Maps and various vehicle built-in navigation systems from Toyota and Nissan. But my experience with GPS's is no more relevant than yours.

If you look at the screenshot Hari-bhari posted, you will have finally, for the first time ever I suppose, seen such a thing. Such a view exists in Garmin, Google Maps (on a phone), and others. It exists because it's useful... for some, but not for all. There are people who prefer a North Up or Top Down view, and you may be one of them.

As I suggested, if you can show a picture your Model 3 screen with a 3D view which looks more upward toward the horizon similarly to that screen, I will be happy to eat my hat.

May I ask what you are trying to achieve? Because your description makes me think you haven't used the 3D mode. What does the 3D mode that you want actually accomplish that the Tesla doesn't?

What we're trying to accomplish is a more "driver's perspective" view which at a glance both A) Makes the nearby roads larger for greater visibility of the next turn and B) Gives a long-distance view of the upcoming turns which follow. This helps the driver to visualize his trip while still preparing for the next turn. It also helps plan for unplanned stops en route, anticipate distant traffic if it's displayed, and plan which lane to be in anticipating a "right turn then left turn", for example... all while being ready for the next turn.

But, it's entirely possible that the reasons we'd like this aren't good enough for you, and that's quite okay. We'd simply like what we'd like... and the fact that it's available in most modern navigation systems tends to imply that there's a demand for it.

I will say that I have a guess about why it doesn't work as we'd like. I am a former software developer and I'm aware that this would require more downloaded data (the roads in the distance, even those which aren't straight ahead). So Tesla may simply be saving over-the-air 1's and 0's.

In the end, I think the answer is this simple: Model 3's navigation 3D view has a very minimal effect as compared to many other systems... as shown here. I'm hoping there are others who agree and request such a change from Tesla.

Attachments

• Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
I don't believe, unfortunately, that a "horizon" or "3D" view is a perspective selection that is available. Maybe if enough people tweet Elon, it can be though.

As for the "go home" option, I believe that if you have any non-map windows open, tapping on the "instrument cluster" on the driver's side of the MFD should in most cases reset the screen to its default "instruments and map" layout.

As for the "go home" option, I believe that if you have any non-map windows open, tapping on the "instrument cluster" on the driver's side of the MFD should in most cases reset the screen to its default "instruments and map" layout.

I got excited when I tried just now and it seemed to work at first, but it doesn't work for most things. It works for the rear camera, climate control, and the car menu, but not for the toy box, web browser, audio controls or the phone screen. It's kinda half of a good thing though. Thanks.

Reactions: DopeGhoti