Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions from a prospective Model 3 performance owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am considering ordering a fully loaded Model 3 performance in Dallas and have the following questions. I'd really appreciate some thoughts from folks who own Teslas and have gone through this before.

• If I order in the next few days (before end of September 2018), do I have a reasonable chance of still getting the car delivered before 12/31/18 so I can get the full $7500 tax credit? I intend to get a fully loaded Model 3 performance.
  • Are there any specific option packages that are likely to delay the build? e.g., the Raptor I ordered last year would have been delayed months if I wanted specific interior trim packages.
  • I know they keep extending it, but am I still likely to get the lifetime supercharging if I order a Model 3 Performance now?
  • How reasonable are the trade-in values? I have a fully loaded C7 Corvette that I intend to trade-in, so what can I expect relative to KBB trade-in values?
  • Do they charge you sales tax only on the difference between trade-in and MSRP on the new Tesla? That's how it is for other cars, but just checking since Tesla's trade-in sounds a little weird.
Thanks a lot, look forward to joining the community.

1. IMHO, yes but don't delay long. Expect an EOY rush due to tax credit hype.
2. There aren't many options for the PM3. The Plus Package is it (20" wheels) aside from colors (INT/EXT). They build in batches (i.e. white interior with certain colors, black with certain colors, etc. No way to know what's queued).
3. Unsure, but it is still available until end of September with a referral code.
4. I did not trade in, but Tesla prices trade in a way that makes it clear they really don't want to deal with them. Try 3rd party like Carmax.
5. Not sure since you're in Texas. I believe since your state has challenges with buying a Tesla, it has to be purchased in CA and shipped to you. CA taxes on the entire vehicle purchase price even with trade in.

You can always take an inventory PM3 if you aren't too picky on colors.

Reactions: MXWing
187 miles is nothing. I would have taken that in a heartbeat.. if i wanted red.
I agree, he told me he wanted 10,000 off and I laughed at him, told him no way they are going for that, I told him to ask for FSD and maybe they might think about it, he thinks its a used car as others have driven it, I would have taken it as well especially if it was my exact configuration which this is.

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
187 miles is nothing. I would have taken that in a heartbeat.. if i wanted red.

I would have looked at it, and inspected it. If the red was absolutely perfect, and it was a sold as new then I would have taken it.

$2500 pays for the red paint color.

Oh, and I would make sure it had free supercharging for the life of my ownership since it's an inventory car.

I think, yes, you can get the car by 12/31 if you move ASAP. Higher margin cars (with Performance and/or EAP or EAP+FSD) will probably get prioritity if it gets close to the deadline. AWD with none of those options seemed to be lower priority for Sep delivery.

Who can say on the bonuses... they keep changing or being extended. Don’t overvalue the Free Supercharging... it’s only for road trips and the real $ value is nowhere near the $10K cost of Performance which was required for the last promotion. I’d make sure you have a referral code on your order whether it gets you anything now in case something gets announced later while you’re still able to cancel without penalty (seems like you’d have some leverage.)

How sales tax is handled varies state by state.

Hi @xxaarraa

If you take an inventory car before the end of Sept then you'll still get free supercharging for ownership of the vehicle (S, X & 3P). I believe you still need to quote a referral code though so let me know if you'd like mine.

If you custom order you'll hopefully get delivery by the end of the year. I think if you go 3P then you stand more chance as Tesla will prioritise building & shipping this spec car. If you use a referral code you'll get $100 credit on your account for supercharging - that's on top of your free 400kWh per year standard. I ordered my S about this time last year & took delivery on Xmas Eve Eve. It is a bit dependent on option choices - colour, interior etc as cars get done in batches. I think you stand a good chance of it though.

Part-ex (trade in) wise I found the Tesla value to be a bit rubbish & sold my car privately. As I was trying to sell in the run up to Xmas I still didn't get a great value for my old car but it was better than what Tesla offered me.

Can't help on taxes I'm afraid.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help :)

Thank you very much for all your thoughts, I am sure there are dozens of these threads that pop up from new owners so I appreciate your patience!

So here's an update.
  • Lifetime supercharging is indeed still available on inventory PM3 cars, if sold before end of September. So you have a week left.
  • Tesla's ability to win over general brand-agnostic non-fanboi traffic is still poor. To explain, I am a general auto enthusiast and not committed to any one brand. I have owned Porsches, AMGs, M3s, Corvettes, Raptors etc. I seek change and I seek good product experiences, I have no loyalties.
  • Given that, Tesla turned me off in a big way. They lowballed my trade, which is not a deal breaker, I am used to that switching cars as often as I do. But they also did not make any sense on the top line i.e., sticker price of their cars. They have a ton of fully loaded inventory PM3s sitting around (more on that later) with various miles on them. i.e., they are demo cars. They offered a markdown on them, but markdowns made no sense whatsoever. A gray car with more miles than a red car had a lower markdown, which is silly considering the red paint in itself costs more. A red car with 1000 miles on it had only a $1700 markdown and I am not touching a 1000 mile car unless manufacturer takes $5k off the sticker.
  • At least in the Dallas market, the fully loaded $80K+ model 3s aren't moving. Every store (there were 3 of them in my area) is sitting on inventory cars in that price range. This is worrying in the long run as I would lose my shirt when I trade in again in 18 months if my local market does not desire a fully loaded 3 at all.
So overall, I think it's a cool product, but the general "take it or leave it" MO isn't enough to win my business, given that I'm a brand-agnostic enthusiast.

Thank you very much for all your thoughts, I am sure there are dozens of these threads that pop up from new owners so I appreciate your patience!

So here's an update.
  • Lifetime supercharging is indeed still available on inventory PM3 cars, if sold before end of September. So you have a week left.
  • Tesla's ability to win over general brand-agnostic non-fanboi traffic is still poor. To explain, I am a general auto enthusiast and not committed to any one brand. I have owned Porsches, AMGs, M3s, Corvettes, Raptors etc. I seek change and I seek good product experiences, I have no loyalties.
  • Given that, Tesla turned me off in a big way. They lowballed my trade, which is not a deal breaker, I am used to that switching cars as often as I do. But they also did not make any sense on the top line i.e., sticker price of their cars. They have a ton of fully loaded inventory PM3s sitting around (more on that later) with various miles on them. i.e., they are demo cars. They offered a markdown on them, but markdowns made no sense whatsoever. A gray car with more miles than a red car had a lower markdown, which is silly considering the red paint in itself costs more. A red car with 1000 miles on it had only a $1700 markdown and I am not touching a 1000 mile car unless manufacturer takes $5k off the sticker.
  • At least in the Dallas market, the fully loaded $80K+ model 3s aren't moving. Every store (there were 3 of them in my area) is sitting on inventory cars in that price range. This is worrying in the long run as I would lose my shirt when I trade in again in 18 months if my local market does not desire a fully loaded 3 at all.
So overall, I think it's a cool product, but the general "take it or leave it" MO isn't enough to win my business, given that I'm a brand-agnostic enthusiast.

Oh, I should have also mentioned that the following factors also made me decide to not pull the trigger:

• How will the experience "wear'" over time? i.e., the initial new car excitement will wear off no matter what the car is. Once it does, what about that car will make you smile every time you walk to it after a long day at work, or every time you go through the car wash and take a new look at it. Usually, for me, it's been the little things like looks, sounds, startup light sequence, and other intangibles. I am not entirely sure the Tesla has any of those to hold my interest over a long period of time.
  • Looks: Boy the Model 3 is rather homely looking. No other way to say it. But especially compared to the traditional sports cars (I now own a red corvette that's a straight up Ferarri rip-off design-wise), PM3 looks a bit silly. That's OK since many AMGs I have owned looked rather bland, but combined with other intangible sensations, there just wasn't enough to swing my vote.

I understand these factors are different for everyone! I am not in it for ecological reasons or brand loyalty.

Your initial questions and follow-up post are sort of in conflict. Nation-wide, Tesla appears to have very strong demand for Model 3s, including the Model 3 Performance with all of the options. There are also many extremely positive reviews of the Model 3 Performance from both established car magazines and YouTube reviewers.

Given that background, why should Tesla be heavily discounting Model 3 Performance vehicles? A manufacturer doesn't have much incentive to discount a product that is in very high demand.

Its pretty common knowledge that you will get more money for a trade-in vehicle if you sell it to a private party rather than actually trading it in to a dealer (or manufacturer). You can also do better by selling it directly to someone like CarMax. Since you've owned so many high-end vehicles, surely you know this. If you are trading in every 18-months, you know you are going to take a hit regardless.

If you were worried about the tax credit, you could take an inventory vehicle right now. You could even probably still order today, and get a brand new vehicle before 12/31.

Did you actually test-drive a Model 3 Performance, or were you just a tire-kicker? Most true car enthusiasts would judge the car on its merits rather than letting something like a low trade-in offer sway their decision.

BTW, I took delivery of my fully-loaded red Model 3 Performance about three weeks ago, and I am extremely happy with it. Before that, I had a 2013 Model S P85 that has been a great car. This Model 3 Performance is a huge step up for acceleration and handling.

If you've never owned a Tesla, you probably just don't understand.

Your initial questions and follow-up post are sort of in conflict. Nation-wide, Tesla appears to have very strong demand for Model 3s, including the Model 3 Performance with all of the options. There are also many extremely positive reviews of the Model 3 Performance from both established car magazines and YouTube reviewers.

Given that background, why should Tesla be heavily discounting Model 3 Performance vehicles? A manufacturer doesn't have much incentive to discount a product that is in very high demand.

Its pretty common knowledge that you will get more money for a trade-in vehicle if you sell it to a private party rather than actually trading it in to a dealer (or manufacturer). You can also do better by selling it directly to someone like CarMax. Since you've owned so many high-end vehicles, surely you know this. If you are trading in every 18-months, you know you are going to take a hit regardless.

If you were worried about the tax credit, you could take an inventory vehicle right now. You could even probably still order today, and get a brand new vehicle before 12/31.

Did you actually test-drive a Model 3 Performance, or were you just a tire-kicker? Most true car enthusiasts would judge the car on its merits rather than letting something like a low trade-in offer sway their decision.

BTW, I took delivery of my fully-loaded red Model 3 Performance about three weeks ago, and I am extremely happy with it. Before that, I had a 2013 Model S P85 that has been a great car. This Model 3 Performance is a huge step up for acceleration and handling.

If you've never owned a Tesla, you probably just don't understand.

It is clear you haven't read my post. I said clearly that the lowball on trade-in was not a deal breaker. As long as the manufacturer/delaer does other things to win my business.

Don't know what to tell you. Three Tesla stores/showrooms in my area are all sitting on inventory Performance Model 3s. The $80K model 3s may not be moving in my market, though there may be huge demand for the $45K versions.

I rented a P100D for the weekend and test drove the PM3 with an open mind, so no, I am not a tire kicker.

You sound like a typical Tesla fanboi who is offended that someone dared to be not very impressed by the whole sales experience. That's fine, drive safe!

At least on the west coast the “inventory” of model 3s comes in daily and disappears within hours or minutes. 3 times this week the local sales guy told me they had a P3D+ in with different specs to what I wanted. For the first two, by the time I said I’d take it they were gone. I’m okay with this because a better match came in the next morning and he was able to secure it for me (picking up tomorrow).

They’re trying to move as many as they can by the weekend, and they don’t seem to be having any trouble doing it. At least not on the west coast (I’m in Seattle). Texas may be tougher given they can’t directly sell there, right?

Reactions: DrDabbles
It is clear you haven't read my post. I said clearly that the lowball on trade-in was not a deal breaker. As long as the manufacturer/delaer does other things to win my business.

Don't know what to tell you. Three Tesla stores/showrooms in my area are all sitting on inventory Performance Model 3s. The $80K model 3s may not be moving in my market, though there may be huge demand for the $45K versions.

I rented a P100D for the weekend and test drove the PM3 with an open mind, so no, I am not a tire kicker.

You sound like a typical Tesla fanboi who is offended that someone dared to be not very impressed by the whole sales experience. That's fine, drive safe!
"as long as the manufacturer/delaer does other things to win my business" thats where you went wrong. Either you want the car or you don't. Expecting a company to "win" you over is just ridiculous. Get the car and discover that you love it, don't get the car and find another car you will love for 18 months. Tesla or any company for that matter isn't concerned with winning your business. Personally I would recommend the P100D as it looks much better than a PM3.

"as long as the manufacturer/delaer does other things to win my business" thats where you went wrong. Either you want the car or you don't. Expecting a company to "win" you over is just ridiculous. Get the car and discover that you love it, don't get the car and find another car you will love for 18 months. Tesla or any company for that matter isn't concerned with winning your business. Personally I would recommend the P100D as it looks much better than a PM3.

That is insane. That is not how business works anywhere. Of course Tesla is working to win our business. That’s the entire point of business.

That is insane. That is not how business works anywhere. Of course Tesla is working to win our business. That’s the entire point of business.

Couldn't agree more. Hence my very first point about me being an objective, brand-agnostic buyer. If I'm paying $80K or more in a crowded field selling a frivolous luxury, hell yeah, the manufacturer has to win my business. Plenty of interesting cars out there, Tesla among them.

What I mean is on a Macro level tesla and every other business is doing what they think is best to draw consumers in. My issues is homeboy wants them to take a personal approach and win his business on the micro level. They could care less right now as there are tons of people who will take his place. Having the attitude that in every interaction a company needs to "win" you over is just entitled.

Couldn't agree more. Hence my very first point about me being an objective, brand-agnostic buyer. If I'm paying $80K or more in a crowded field selling a frivolous luxury, hell yeah, the manufacturer has to win my business. Plenty of interesting cars out there, Tesla among them.
SO in your mind what would "win" your business? A bigger discount on an inventory vehicle?

@xxaarraa

Da fuq?

You see Corvette's for sale at any Tesla lot? They take your car in for YOUR convenience and wholesale it to whomever. Don't like Tesla's price? - Sell it somewhere else.

A red car with 1000 miles on it had only a $1700 markdown and I am not touching a 1000 mile car unless manufacturer takes $5k off the sticker.

THAN DON'T. Someone else will. Be seeing you in my rearview.