Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions from potential first time buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of waze is going to be a personal preference.

Spotify Tip: If you’re going to share the car with a spouse, and you got Spotify family plan, make your Tesla its own Spotify account and share playlist with it. That way, your spouse’s listening habits don’t effect your algorithms.

The biggest things I miss is XM radio and audible. But using Bluetooth work fine.
Good tip on the Spotify connection. If you have a Sirius/XM plan - which I do - you can also download the app on your phone and play it that way. So you should be able to stream through BT connection, right?

IMHO...

Biggest negative so far with the Y has been BLIND SPOT monitoring. Very poorly executed. There is a supposedly blind spot monitoring but it takes your eyes off the road to look at the screen and even then it does not work very well.

The other no biggie issue is there is no rear cross traffic alert or pedestrian alert. Even low end ICE cars now a days have these features.

But .. blind spot monitoring is a safety issue... not good...

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I am still a fan of Waze, I am managing with the phone in the charger cradle, work fine, do not have to have a stand.

I also realized that after owning the Y, I have become a safe driver .. :). My speed has dropped to 75mph max. No more fast acceleration.. I see dinky little ICE cars zoom past me.... Reason.... BATTERY .... you accelerate and speed, you run out of charge... If you are driving in town you dont speed, if you are driving in a highway... now you become a safe driver... :).

1. I live in the upper midwest and so far only do all-seasons. But yes if that is your route, just ask the shop "Have you ever changed tires on a tesla". If they don't answer fast, call the next one.
2. No and no. You can buy one called modern spare, OR you just use roadside assistance. I have never changed a tire on the side of the road (not that safe TBH), so I will not be getting a spare.
3. The manual has a section, not much to it.
4. yes. First party for 1k ish, or third party for 300-400.
5. We don't know yet! Has not been a cold winter since it came out. The charge port SHOULD help a lot. The door handles let you "rock" them side to side in case of ice.
6. To me, this is more reason to just do the 19s. No need to switch out tires in the summer, and much less flat chance.
7. You can use Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information in your browser. I was addicted to waze also, but personally have switched to Tesla nav and it is "fine"
8. Yes most things. You can for example say "my ass is cold" and get your seat warmer turned on.
9. I enjoy it. When I go back into an ICE car with buttons, I have a panic attack. Most important stuff like climate is on the bar always on the screen. You never need to dig deep into menus for the normal stuff you do while driving.

Wait! it recognizes that command! Can't wait to go out to the car and try it out! :D But it won't open the glovebox? LOL

Wait! it recognizes that command! Can't wait to go out to the car and try it out! :D But it won't open the glovebox? LOL
20200916_200008.jpg
20200916_200056.jpg

Both commands not available, yet.

Good tip on the Spotify connection. If you have a Sirius/XM plan - which I do - you can also download the app on your phone and play it that way. So you should be able to stream through BT connection, right?
Yes, I switched you to a streaming only plan. You can used the app on own phone and the station info does show on your screen. All controls are done from you phone.

1. I live in the upper midwest and so far only do all-seasons. But yes if that is your route, just ask the shop "Have you ever changed tires on a tesla". If they don't answer fast, call the next one.
2. No and no. You can buy one called modern spare, OR you just use roadside assistance. I have never changed a tire on the side of the road (not that safe TBH), so I will not be getting a spare.
3. The manual has a section, not much to it.
4. yes. First party for 1k ish, or third party for 300-400.
5. We don't know yet! Has not been a cold winter since it came out. The charge port SHOULD help a lot. The door handles let you "rock" them side to side in case of ice.
6. To me, this is more reason to just do the 19s. No need to switch out tires in the summer, and much less flat chance.
7. You can use Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information in your browser. I was addicted to waze also, but personally have switched to Tesla nav and it is "fine"
8. Yes most things. You can for example say "my ass is cold" and get your seat warmer turned on.
9. I enjoy it. When I go back into an ICE car with buttons, I have a panic attack. Most important stuff like climate is on the bar always on the screen. You never need to dig deep into menus for the normal stuff you do while driving.[/

I'm gonna try #8 “my ass is cold” once I get in the car

See my responses below. My Y is my first Tesla or EV for that matter.
  1. For seasonal tire changes, do I have to go to Tesla Service center? Or are most garages comfortable with Tesla?
I bought 18" Replika R241 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires for winter. We had one snow storm last week (I live just outside of Toronto) and it drove really well. I bought them at Kaltire. They do a lot of Teslas (so they say).

Since the car doesn't come with spare tire, is there a jack? If not, is a normal jack suitable?

You can buy pucks that attach to the mounting points and raise the car with a normal jack. I have a Motomaster 2 tonne that works well.
  1. Any special instructions for towing?
Don't know. I don't tow.

Can tow hitch option be added later:Thinking of bike rack option

You can. I think it's $1,650 installed on the Tesla Canada store.

For those in very cold climates (I am in Montreal), how well does heated charging port work? Is freezing rain a problem? How about the door handles?

I haven't seen any weather like this yet and I park in the garage with the car plugged in over night. I set it to pre-condition for the time I leave for work, so the car is nice and warm. Send me a message later in the winter and I'll let you know how it's going.

Just how hard is the ride for both tire sizes? We have A LOT of potholes.

I have the 19" wheels because of potholes. I even use 18" for the winters, but that was mainly due to a lack of availability in 19" winter tires.

Is the lack of CarPlay or specifically, WAZE a big issue? I am so addicted to the traffic features of Waze.

I sometimes use Waze on my phone in the charging dock, but the built in nav works pretty well.

Does the car accept voice commands for anything? I understand the AP function allows you to look at the screen. But still, would like to be hands free as much as possible.

The car has a lot of voice controls and most can be spoken naturally without having to say any trigger words.

Lastly, without any physical controls for climate control, is it a pain to adjust while driving? Is there voice control? "Hey Tessi, turn up the heat."

You can use voice commands for this easily. Say I'm cold or turn up the driver 1 degree or set driver side to 23 degrees. It all works. I even sometimes turn on the heated seats by saying turn driver seat to 3 bacons.