Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions on proof of insurance and delivery location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Sorry if these are newbie questions. I just ordered a Model 3 Long Range RWD (Red) last night after many months of deliberation. I had been waiting for the Federal budget, which as we all know now offers nothing for potential Tesla buyers given the price cap.Thankfully there has been a delay in the Tesla price increase!

At this point, I have a reservation number but not surprisingly no VIN yet. I’m going through the online information process and have a question about Proof of Insurance. I have an insurance policy for my current cars. Is it sufficient to just upload that information to the online form, or will I also have to upload information from my insurance company later that specifically cites I have coverage for the Tesla?

When I did the initial order, after having given my postal code it only showed the address of the Montreal showroom / service location as my preferred delivery location. I live in Ottawa. Any opinions on picking up the car in Montreal or is it better to just have it delivered directly to Ottawa or pick up at a Toronto showroom if possible?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Garth

Hi Garth,

You can upload the insurance for your current car for now as that proves you already have car insurance of some form, and then you can update it for the Tesla specifically later on after you get VIN, etc.

As it relates to delivery, it's really your choice. I've seen where others have had it delivered to either Montreal or Toronto and then made a road trip of it back to Ottawa :), but it might be less hassle to just have it delivered directly there if they can do that.

They should be able to deliver directly to you(did for me in Ottawa in Sep2018) but if you want the delivery experience they will also pre-plate it in Ontario and then let you pick it up in Montreal. I would still confirm as things could have changed

They should be able to deliver directly to you(did for me in Ottawa in Sep2018) but if you want the delivery experience they will also pre-plate it in Ontario and then let you pick it up in Montreal. I would still confirm as things could have changed

Thanks for the info. When they delivered directly to you in Ottawa, was the car plated or did you have to get the plates yourself? Would you go for direct delivery again or would there have been benefit from the "delivery experience"?

was the car plated or did you have to get the plates yourself?
They plated it for me. I figured I had watched enough youtube videos about the car and other people's pickups I didn't need to make the trip to Montreal or Toronto. I never saw a Tesla employee once to make my purchase, it was all via the phone and email. I would probably go with direct delivery again to save the time, unless I had another reason to go to Montreal or Toronto at the same time.

I have ordered mine on March 4th, and yesterday I got a call from delivery advisor. She was very fast - sounded like I bother her with all my questions (that was pretty sad if I put that experience in perspective of the price I will pay for AWD model 3).
She said that they will deliver the car to Montreal, I can pick it up there and the car will have Ontario license plate. She did not offer an option to deliver it to Ottawa. I still don't have a VIN.

surfaholic and gabriel_bl — thank you very much for your replies! I guess I’ll just have to see what options Tesla gives me.

gabriel_bl — look closely at your bill to make sure they are charging you Ontario HST rather than Quebec GST/QST. I mention this because the tax amount that they have for my estimated bill seems to be the GST/QST number. I would have assumed they knew I was in Ontario based on the postal code when I put in the order. Today as part of the process I’ve put in my full address and Ontario driver’s license info and hopefully that will clear it up or I’ll have to contact them. In any case, not close to delivery yet, I don’t have a VIN.

Thank you GarthG. It really looks like they are charging nearly 15% instead of 13%.

I have contacted my delivery advisor (regarding the tax and delivery) and she told me that they might be able to deliver it directly to my home address :) So I will let you know once I have more info - not sure if there is an extra fee for the delivery.

Thank you GarthG. It really looks like they are charging nearly 15% instead of 13%.

I have contacted my delivery advisor (regarding the tax and delivery) and she told me that they might be able to deliver it directly to my home address :) So I will let you know once I have more info - not sure if there is an extra fee for the delivery.
Yes, please keep me in the loop.

I’m still scratching my head on how Tesla has calculated the sales tax. In Ontario, at least based on a recent quote I got from a dealer for a Hyundai Kona Electric, I believe the 13% Ontario HST is applied to the sum of the vehicle cost, any freight and pre delivery inspection, any other miscellaneous fees (for example, their admin fees, OMVIC and license fee) and the Federal Air Conditioning Tax — yes there is a tax on a tax!

Applying that same approach to my Tesla order, the tax they are estimating for my car is a shade over 14%. Not the 13% I would have expected, but not the 14.975% (GST at 5% plus QST at 9.975% if it was in Quebec). Very confusing. This is worse than trying to figure out the price of a smart phone plan from Bell Mobility :)

I’m still scratching my head on how Tesla has calculated the sales tax. In Ontario, at least based on a recent quote I got from a dealer for a Hyundai Kona Electric, I believe the 13% Ontario HST is applied to the sum of the vehicle cost, any freight and pre delivery inspection, any other miscellaneous fees (for example, their admin fees, OMVIC and license fee) and the Federal Air Conditioning Tax — yes there is a tax on a tax!

Applying that same approach to my Tesla order, the tax they are estimating for my car is a shade over 14%. Not the 13% I would have expected, but not the 14.975% (GST at 5% plus QST at 9.975% if it was in Quebec). Very confusing. This is worse than trying to figure out the price of a smart phone plan from Bell Mobility :)

My sales tax shows more than 15% :). I just got an answer from delivery advisor and they can deliver to Ottawa (no additional fee). That's good news.

I believe the tax amount shown in your Tesla account is always a bit wonky / off until you're close to delivery and they're finalizing everything, so don't worry. Just sit tight until you move up in the process and it gets updated.

I believe the tax amount shown in your Tesla account is always a bit wonky / off until you're close to delivery and they're finalizing everything, so don't worry. Just sit tight until you move up in the process and it gets updated.
Thanks for the reassurance. The key thing in the estimated price is that the price of my car and my option (Red) are correct. Thus I've avoided the price increase that came in to effect on midnight Wednesday. For my car (Long Range, RWD) the price went up by $CDN 2,100. I'm happy I dodged that !

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Today I got an email from Tesla that my car may be arriving soon. For more details, see what I posted on the thread

Are Canadians still getting Model 3s right now?

Here is some further info re: the issues I’ve been raising here about sales tax calculation and delivery location.

They are going to deliver it to my home address in Ottawa. Once my VIN is assigned they will send the plates to me. I had pointed out to them the confusion about the sales tax calculation and they say there will be an updated calculation of the remaining money I owe Tesla which should have the correct tax calculation for Ontario.