Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick help please: What does RM mean on evtrip planner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a trip today, wondering if i can make it there and back in my S90D trip charged.
To get there, it says this:
Distance 104.8 miles
Driving Time 2:00
Charging Time 0:00
Total Trip Time 2:00
Total Energy Used 36.5 kWh
126 RM
Average Efficiency 349 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 4287 feet

To get back:
Distance 105.2 miles
Driving Time 2:00
Charging Time 0:00
Total Trip Time 2:00
Total Energy Used 20.6 kWh
71 RM
Average Efficiency 196 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change -4274 feet

The outbound, uphill leg is the tricky one. How realistic is 349Wh/mi for you:
  • What is your current average?
  • What speed multiplier did you plug in and is that realistic for you?
  • Probably not an issue this time of year, but what temp did you plug in?
The S90D has a rated range of 294, so it seems doable based on whatever scenario you plugged in.

Range mode will add more than a mile if you're driving conservatively. Don't be afraid to charge to 100% if you need the range (sometimes refered to as a range charge as a throwback to the roadster).

EV trip planner takes elevation changes into account. So you need 197 rated miles. You should be able to make it just fine. Don't forget to allocate some energy for driving around your destination (if applicable) as well as loses while the car sits (turn on energy saving).

Cool. Thanks. I made it to my destination only using 45% of my battery with the climb in elevation. Should be able to make it home just fine. Thanks for the input. Gave me the confidence to do it. Going the speed limit is the key.
Any of you Arizonans, if it matters I made it from south Gilbert to Camp Lomia with 55% left.

Reactions: msnow
Did you really use 45% of your battery or was that the number presented to you on the dash when you arrived? Do you remember what % you started out at?
I actually used 45% according to the dash (said 55% left), but when i left it was at 100%. I set it to trip 100% before i started my trip.
20160805_194056.jpg