Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick impression of Model 3 after 2 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an example:
First photo: Model 3 backing out of driveway.
Second photo: Model X backing out of driveway.
Notice how much better the exposure and resolution are with MX camera.
Visibility across the street is good and foreground detail much clearer.

M3_BackupCam1.JPG
MX_BackupCam1.JPG

autopilot and cruise control, when used sensibly, are a huge safety advantage, allowing you to relax a little and watch the whole scene in front without worrying about staying in the centre of your lane at exactly the right speed.

promotes safe driving behavior as I just turn it on and follow the car in front and rarely do I have the impulse to switch lanes anymore.

+1 well said both. So many people complain about AP and they do not get how to use it as tool as described above. Bizarre that they can't figure it out.

Here's an example:
First photo: Model 3 backing out of driveway.
Second photo: Model X backing out of driveway.
Notice how much better the exposure and resolution are with MX camera.
Visibility across the street is good and foreground detail much clearer.

View attachment 275217 View attachment 275218

Resolution looks pretty similar to me, at least in these examples. There definitely a difference in exposure/contrast.

But it is possible to have the camera be live while you drive like in the S, correct?
That’s all that matters to me from this scenario. I don’t need anything else showing.

I've driven my S with the cam (top of screen) as my live rear view for years, it's pretty much a safety feature in my opinion.

The video quality on the 3 rear camera is bloody awful and utterly useless as a live rear view... I just put up the map/nav so I don't have to cringe looking at it.

I know some might say "it's not that bad"... it is. I'm not exaggerating... it's really crap and the worse thing about the 3.

Reactions: liuping
How is AP control compare to MS or MX? I understand that M3 doesn’t have a physical controlling stalk. Instead you have to adjust everything from screen. I normally adjust speed down or up or turn off AP with my left hand in MS. Especially in a situation where I need to slow down quickly and at the same time, focus on the road. Of course I can just press brake and take over the control but situation isn’t quite that urgent. Hope this makes sense.

How is AP control compare to MS or MX? I understand that M3 doesn’t have a physical controlling stalk. Instead you have to adjust everything from screen. I normally adjust speed down or up or turn off AP with my left hand in MS. Especially in a situation where I need to slow down quickly and at the same time, focus on the road. Of course I can just press brake and take over the control but situation isn’t quite that urgent. Hope this makes sense.

Turning on/off AP is still done with the stalk. For the slowing down case that's what I would always do anyway (you can see traffic's stopped ahead, but AP hasn't quite noticed, so you turn it off and slow down more gradually, and then turn it back on when you are behind another car). My usual use for fine tuning the speed is when there isn't a car in front of me and I want to go faster/slower, and I find the screen fine for that. If you like to adjust the following distance while driving it's a pain.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I've driven my S with the cam (top of screen) as my live rear view for years, it's pretty much a safety feature in my opinion.

The video quality on the 3 rear camera is bloody awful and utterly useless as a live rear view... I just put up the map/nav so I don't have to cringe looking at it.

I know some might say "it's not that bad"... it is. I'm not exaggerating... it's really crap and the worse thing about the 3.

There was an update that came out according to many on Reddit and the before and after pics looks so much better.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G
I am an S driver, and my wife has had a Prius for three years now. I personally believe there is no disadvantage or safety issue at all if the information you want is to the side and near the top of the dash (on the Prius). Where I 'lose' contact with the road is when I have to look toward the bottom of my 'S' screen. I actually think it is potentially dangerous, since there is little peripheral vision above your point of focus. For this reason, I think that the screen on the model 3 could be safer than that of the S. I haven't received mine yet, but that is my expectation based on a lot of experience with these two cars. Does that make sense you guys?

Reactions: bhzmark
Some quick personal impression of my 2 weeks old Model 3.
I just spent about 10 minutes sitting in a Model 3 at the Stanford Shopping Center Tesla store. I am slightly disappointed but for some very mundane reasons. I am single and retired. The car is actually too big for me. I don't really need all that space. Secondly I hit my spine when I entered the car. On my Kia Rio the retracted radio antenna is exactly in the correct place for my left hand to grab as I lower and slide into the front seat. The Model 3 is smooth and sloping at the location and there is nothing to hold onto. I am sure with practice I will find some combination of steps and leanings that will help getting into and out of the car. My balance is very poor since I am now deaf and all the inner ear mechanism are giving bad feedback. So the egress and ingress may not be a problem for the younger generation (I'm 73). I have been looking forward to no longer shifting gears and clutching. Still waiting for my notification of availability.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
There was an update that came out according to many on Reddit and the before and after pics looks so much better.
I have the update (2017.50.12) that is supposed to be better.

I'd say maybe a little better, but still way blown out in bright lighting and too contrasty over all. I would not want to leave it up on screen while driving, it just looks bad. It is by far the worse part of the car. Actually, it's pretty much the only thing (aside from unfinished software) that I don't like about the Model 3

Here's a pic from my drive into work today:

IMG_5065.jpg

i like how everyone who's against model 3 or posts price as a negative things "oh my god, they force autopilot and/or FSD on me for $59000". please tell me that BWM has a functionality (not what they're actually selling) that's comparable to at least autopilot (hint, its not!). ugh.

quick disclaimer: saw m3 today in person in miami. BMW can suck it.
I drove the x hoping for a great autopilot experience and was very disappointed. It was totally unreliable around town and on the freeway was no better than anyone else's range following radar. The interior on a bmw was shedloads nicer. I loved the motor braking on the model x, but for 25k difference to a loaded x5 I really could not justify the expense of an x over an x5 diesel. All the other automated stuff works really well on the bmw. Maybe someday a model x will seem more competitive; the model 3 certainly has a nicer pricepoint, so one hopes some of the economies of scale will carry over to other Tesla models as time goes on.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 person