TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Quick Q regarding airport parking. 3 days fine?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by disagree, Feb 9, 2017.

1. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Hi!

If I leave in the AM tomorrow and get back Sunday PM, do you think my 90D be ok to get me home (say max 15mile drive each way in 40s temp)? Seems to me it would be fine, but I've never tried.

Thanks.

2. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Yep. Why would it not?

It can sit for far longer than that. Just try to park it with 50% or more charge for best results.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

I suppose that I'm neurotic isn't really a good reason.

• Funny x 2
  4. Wineborg

Wineborg Member

I found my 90D losing ~6 miles range per day when parked at 20C , and 2-3 miles range per day if parked at 50C all day. So you can probably leave it at the airport for up to a month with full charge.

• Like x 1
  5. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

There's a few settings you can tweak if you're needing to push the limits of leaving the car away from a charger. e.g. "always connected" and turn off automatic climate stuff like "cabin overheat" and "smart preconditioning"

• Like x 1
  6. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

As some of the posts point out, your settings are very important. I once parked my Model X outside on a cold night in Northern New Hampshire and found that the range dropped from 136 miles to 116 miles. Since making appropriate adjustments to the settings, there has been no significant range loss.

• Like x 1
  7. kort677

kort677 Banned

#7 kort677, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    this is poor information. there could be significant loss of range if the settings aren't set properly, and if there is severely cold weather, losses of 25 miles of range per day is possible.

8. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

Door dings more risk than battery. 3 days no issue. A week no issue. After a few days, the car goes into deep sleep and the vampire loss per day reduces. Agree you should turn off "always connected". You may want to check with service center, but I believe maximum recommended is 30 days, though the anti-bricking protection in the BMS should protect far longer. In the the threads regarding salvage cars, it seems batteries neglected for long periods have survived.

Interestingly, my egolf (with no active battery management system) can be left unplugged 3 months with no loss.

• Like x 1
  9. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Yep, it really was no problem at all. And when I returned I was pleased that it had not been dinged. WHEW.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

• Like x 1
  10. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

What? OP said max 15 miles each way. OP said 40s temp. OP has a 90D.

My information is just fine thank you very much ;)

11. kort677

kort677 Banned

an unplugged car sitting in extremely cold temps could lose more than 20 miles of range a day.

12. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

lol?

OK, let's pretend that 40 degrees is extremely cold. Fri, Sat, Sun would lose a total of 60 miles of range by your estimate. A 90D would arrive at the airport with 185 miles of range, conservatively, after a 15 mile drive to the airport. Three days later, it would have 125 miles of range remaining.

Do you think OP could make it home (a 15 mile drive) Sunday with those 125 miles remaining range?

13. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

50C is the all time high in Phoenix, AZ, and 20C is pretty much room temp.